How to invest in canola in 2023
Our commodity experts have researched the canola market and you can find out all about it in this guide. Use this page to learn how to invest in canola and whether this agricultural commodity will be a good addition to your portfolio.
Where can I invest in canola online?
You can invest in canola using any of the brokers below. They’ve all been selected by our commodity experts and are the best ranked platforms to buy canola. Click on any of the links to register an account in minutes and make your purchase.
77% of retail CFD accounts lose money.
Why invest in canola?
Canola is a widely used commodity worldwide; its demand has been growing in recent years. Here are a few reasons why you may want to consider investing in canola.
- Canola is in high demand. Canola is an important oilseed crop and is used across the world for both food and industrial uses. It is often used in making vegetable oil and biodiesel. It is also an ingredient in many processed foods.
- It is a stable crop. Canola is grown in multiple regions, including Australia, the United States, and Europe. As it is produced globally, the risk of adverse weather conditions, pests, and diseases impacting harvests is smaller than crops grown in only a few regions.
- It has perceived health benefits. Some people believe canola has many health benefits, such as lower levels of saturated fats and high levels of omega-3 fatty acids. This has helped its demand, although there are some studies suggesting it is not healthy at all.
5 top tips for investing in canola
We have broken down this process into some easy-to-follow steps for your convenience. Read through to understand how to get involved in investing in barley.
1. Decide on an investment strategy.
Without a plan, any investment is destined for failure. So, it is important to create a clear strategy before getting started. Consider things like whether you want to be active or passive, and consider how much experience you have.
2. Do your research.
The barley industry is idiosyncratic, so you need to do sufficient research to understand it before investing. From reading the latest commentary by analysts to watching informative videos online, take in all the information you can and ensure it is from a trustworthy source
3. Set a budget
Without a budget, things can quickly get out of control. Setting one ensures there is a level of oversight, allowing you to take calculated risks without gambling your entire savings.
4. Choose between the long term and short term.
Some investors like to put their money aside and return for a profit years later, whereas others like to trade with it to get returns faster. Both of these methods can be effective ways to generate money with barley, and it comes down to personal preference and how much free time you have.
5. Find an investment platform.
You won’t find barely assets on every online brokerage, so it is important to shop around. In addition, you should make sure the platform you opt for has reasonable fees and proven reliability. Click the button below for our top picks.
Ways to invest in canola
There are numerous ways you can invest in canola and the right approach will depend on your expertise and goals. Here are some of the best ways to invest in canola.
Invest in canola stocks
You can get exposure to the canola industry by buying shares in companies that are involved in the market. This can include farmers, processors, and transporters. You can invest in a company that grows canola and other crops for example, and your investment will usually be correlated with its price.
Invest in canola ETFs
Exchange traded funds (ETFs) are funds that track the performance of a particular industry. ETF’s are often the easiest way to invest in canola, as you’ll get broad exposure to the market. Some ETFs invest in companies, while others even track the futures price of canola.
Invest in canola mutual funds
Mutual funds are similar ETFs, although they are managed funds where professionals buy and sell shares according to their expertise. You can fund mutual funds focusing on specific industries like canola or take a broader view of the whole agricultural market.
Invest in canola futures
If you want to speculate on short term price movements of canola, then futures are the best option. However, futures contracts can be complex products and are best suited to investors or traders with some exerpertise.
How does the canola market work?
The price of canola is influenced in the same way most other markets are, where supply and demand drive its value. Here are a few of the most important factors that impact the canola price.
- Weather conditions. While canola is grown worldwide, a few countries, such as Canada and Australia, are its biggest suppliers. It’s a cool-season crop, so conditions such as drought, extreme heat, or too much rain can impact harvests and its price.
- Exchange rates. Canola is traded globally, so its price is affected by fluctuations in exchange rates. When a country’s currency depreciates relative to other currencies, it becomes cheaper for buyers to purchase goods from that country. This can increase demand and lead to higher prices.
- Government policies. Government policy changes can impact the supply and demand for canola. Governments sometimes use tariffs and export or import restrictions to drive growth. These policies can affect the price of canola, especially if they’re from a significant canola-growing country.
When should you invest in canola?
Like any investment, the timing of when to invest in canola depends on many factors, such as market conditions and supply and demand. Canola prices tend to be cyclical, meaning it has periods of low prices followed by high prices. If you can identify a low point in the cycle, then it could be a good time to invest.
You should also take a broader view and keep an eye on global supply and demand and currency exchange rates, both of which could help you time your investment into canola.
Is canola a good investment in 2023?
It could be, but it often helps to look at the bigger picture before investing. Many experts believe that 2023 will see large parts of the global economy fall into recessions. This could make it a good time to buy, especially as commodity prices tend to fair well when the economy struggles.
What should I do now?
Now that you know how to buy canola and the factors that influence its price, you may want to consider purchasing. You can use the blue button below to be taken to our expertly recommended brokers, where you can buy canola online. It’s also a good idea to stay up to date with the latest news and analysis, which you can do on the links below.
Latest canola news
Associated British Foods to buy National Milk Records
Deere Q2 earnings: ‘ag space will be a growth story for a long time’
Sugar prices hit 11-year high as weather impacts producers
Pinduoduo at the blink of a breakout to $100. What to expect in the quarter earnings
Fertilizer prices ease but is affordability a thing of the past: A deep dive
Is Bunge Limited stock a bargain after the recent decline?
More commodity investments
Invezz is a place where people can find reliable, unbiased information about finance, trading, and investing – but we do not offer financial advice and users should always carry out their own research. The assets covered on this website, including stocks, cryptocurrencies, and commodities can be highly volatile and new investors often lose money. Success in the financial markets is not guaranteed, and users should never invest more than they can afford to lose. You should consider your own personal circumstances and take the time to explore all your options before making any investment. Read our risk disclaimer >