Invezz is an independent platform with the goal of helping users achieve financial freedom. In order to fund our work, we partner with advertisers who compensate us for users that Invezz refers to their services. While our reviews and assessments of each product on the site are independent and unbiased, brands may pay to appear higher up our table rankings or place ads in specific areas of the site. The order in which products and services appear on Invezz does not represent an endorsement from us, and please be aware that there may be other platforms available to you than the products and services that appear on our website. Read more about how we make money >
Invest in Silver
Ways to invest in silver
If investing in silver is your goal, there are plenty of methods at your disposal. You can buy silver bars or coins, shares in silver-related stocks, or even mutual funds with a precious metals focus.
These options are outlined in more detail below, along with links to lessons, analysis and news that can help make your silver investment be more educated.
What is silver?
Silver is a precious metal that’s less valuable than gold, platinum, and other precious metals on a per-ounce basis, but still used in a wide variety of ways. Silver is used to make jewellery, tableware, batteries, dental alloys, and many other items. The price of silver hit a level near $850 per ounce in January 2021.
We have silver news and commodities news on our website, and reading the two regularly can make you a more able silver investor.
How to invest in silver
We’ve put together a rundown of different silver investment options, so you can pick the method that works best for you as an individual investor. Follow the links to our guides and lessons on each method for more information.
- Silver futures. This is an agreement in contract form to buy or sell a set amount of silver at a specific price on a predetermined date in the future. Investing in silver futures carries risk since it often involves trading with leverage, so consider gaining more experience before you try your hand at futures trading. You can also read our guide to investing in commodities for a broader knowledge of the subject.
- Silver options. These are also contracts that allow investors to bet on the price of silver. Holders of a silver options contract have the right, but not an obligation, to buy (a ‘call’) or sell (a ‘put’) a given amount of silver.
- Silver stocks. A simple way to get exposure to the price of silver is to buy shares in a public company that mines, produces or manufactures using silver. When conducting your due diligence of a silver-related company, make sure to aim for a company with superior profitability compared to its peers.
- Silver ETFs. ETFs (Exchange Traded Funds) are groups of assets that can be traded just like an individual stock. If you invest in an asset that tracks the price of silver, you can benefit if the silver price rises without having to own physical bars.
- Silver mutual funds. A mutual fund manager invests money collected from a pool of numerous different investors, usually with a certain strategy involved (such as large-cap or small-cap stocks, growth or value stocks). Moreover, a mutual fund with a stake in silver will likely include investments in other precious metals stocks (such as gold mining stocks). By relying on a mutual fund manager, you place trust in their experience and ability to invest your capital effectively.
Where can I buy silver now?
Latest silver price analysis
Fact-checking & references
Our editors fact-check all content to ensure compliance with our strict editorial policy. The information in this article is supported by the following reliable sources.
Invezz is a place where people can find reliable, unbiased information about finance, trading, and investing – but we do not offer financial advice and users should always carry out their own research. The assets covered on this website, including stocks, cryptocurrencies, and commodities can be highly volatile and new investors often lose money. Success in the financial markets is not guaranteed, and users should never invest more than they can afford to lose. You should consider your own personal circumstances and take the time to explore all your options before making any investment. Read our risk disclaimer >