Chainlink (LINK) - All you need to know
Invezz is an independent platform with the goal of helping users achieve financial freedom. In order to fund our work, we partner with advertisers who compensate us for users that Invezz refers to their services. While our reviews and assessments of each product on the site are independent and unbiased, brands may pay to appear higher up our table rankings or place ads in specific areas of the site. The order in which products and services appear on Invezz does not represent an endorsement from us, and please be aware that there may be other platforms available to you than the products and services that appear on our website. Read more about how we make money >
Ways to invest in Chainlink
Sign up with a cryptocurrency broker or cryptocurrency exchange to give you the widest range of options. From there, you can decide on an investing strategy that works for you. Trade coins quickly or hold them for the long term, depending on how soon you want to see results.
If you want to dive deeper, read on to learn various other options that you have. The links below direct you to individual pages which provide more details on how to navigate the process.
What is Chainlink?
Chainlink is a bridge that links blockchain platforms to real-world data. Contracts created on the blockchain often rely on up to date information, like stock market prices or exchange rates, and Chainlink uses a network of individuals to source it. The LINK cryptocurrency is used to pay for this data and as a reward to those who provide it.
The blockchain features a lot of ‘smart contracts’: binding contracts that are triggered by a certain condition. An example might be a contract to sell a stock if it’s price hits £100. For this to work, the stock price data needs to be accurate at all times, which is where Chainlink comes in.
Formed in 2017, it’s already widely used in the realm of decentralised finance. Two leading platforms, Yearn Finance and AAVE, were early adopters. As was Google, which uses it to create crypto data sets.
How does Chainlink work?
Chainlink works by using groups of individuals instead of a central search engine. These users are known as ‘oracles’, and put up their computing power to respond to a data request as soon as it’s made. They stake LINK as collateral on the reliability of the information and assuming it meets expectations, they’re paid a fee.
The whole process involves a series of contracts stored on Chainlink’s own blockchain, and at the end, each oracle is given a rating based on how well it met the brief. The higher score, the better, and as only the ones with the top scores are chosen for future searches, it incentivises the best possible performance.
How to invest in Chainlink
There are lots of different ways to invest in cryptocurrency, depending on your budget, timeframe, and level of experience. Here’s a list of some of the ways to get involved:
- Sign up with a broker. An online crypto broker is often the easiest way to invest in a coin. You can sign up, deposit fiat currency (like GBP or USD) and immediately start buying crypto. Look for a broker that provides strong customer service, an easy-to-use trading platform, and low transaction fees.
- Cryptocurrency exchanges. Exchanges generally offer a wider range of coins and you cut out trading fees by buying and selling direct from other users. Look for a well established exchange with high levels of security that allows you to trade a variety of different cryptocurrencies.
- Investment trusts. An investment trust is a closed-end investment strategy used by UK investors to get access to different types of investment assets. Usually you will find the trusts that do include cryptocurrency in their portfolios only own the biggest, most popular ones.
- Debit cards. A debit card allows you to make purchases online instantly, using Chainlink as the currency that funds the card. More and more merchants accept crypto payments now, and you can usually hold lots of different coins in one account.
- Mobile apps. A growing number of apps will allow you to invest in or use cryptocurrencies straight from your mobile phone. With an app, you can trade your coins from anywhere.
- Crypto wallets. A wallet allows you to store and track your coins securely. Many crypto wallets have their own integrated exchange as well, so you can trade coins straight from your wallet.
Where can I buy Chainlink now?
Latest Chainlink price analysis
Invezz is a place where people can find reliable, unbiased information about finance, trading, and investing – but we do not offer financial advice and users should always carry out their own research. The assets covered on this website, including stocks, cryptocurrencies, and commodities can be highly volatile and new investors often lose money. Success in the financial markets is not guaranteed, and users should never invest more than they can afford to lose. You should consider your own personal circumstances and take the time to explore all your options before making any investment. Read our risk disclaimer >