Accuracy is our number one priority. Our editors constantly review content across Invezz, ensuring all information is up-to-date and maintained where necessary. Read more about our fact-checking process >
Invezz is a place where people can find reliable, unbiased information about finance, trading, and investing – but we do not offer financial advice and users should always carry out their own research. The assets covered on this website, including stocks, cryptocurrencies, and commodities can be highly volatile and new investors often lose money. Success in the financial markets is not guaranteed, and users should never invest more than they can afford to lose. You should consider your own personal circumstances and take the time to explore all your options before making any investment. Read our risk disclaimer >
Invezz is an independent platform with the goal of helping users achieve financial freedom. In order to fund our work, we partner with advertisers who compensate us for users that Invezz refers to their services. While our reviews and assessments of each product on the site are independent and unbiased, brands may pay to appear higher up our table rankings or place ads in specific areas of the site. The order in which products and services appear on Invezz does not represent an endorsement from us, and please be aware that there may be other platforms available to you than the products and services that appear on our website. Read more about how we make money >
Ways to invest in Potcoin
The most direct approach is to sign up with an online broker or exchange platform. You can create an account and trade coins in a matter of minutes, so it’s ideal for both a long and short term strategy.
There are more indirect ways to invest as well. There are managed mutual funds or exchange-traded funds that offer a way in without requiring the same micromanagement as creating your own portfolio. Explore the different ways to get Potcoin in the links below.
What is Potcoin?
Potcoin is a cryptocurrency designed specifically for the cannabis industry. Many businesses that supply or sell cannabis products find it very difficult to set up a bank account because of how the drug is classified. Potcoin offers them a way to take out loans or send and receive payments anonymously.
To understand more about how cryptocurrency works, take our Bitcoin 101 course before you start. Potcoin works in a very similar way to Bitcoin and much of the technology is the same.
How to invest in Potcoin
There are a few different ways. Below, we’ve put together a list of the options available to you. Read through and get to know each one so you can make the best decision on how to invest your own hard earned money.
- Broker platforms. Signing up for an online broker is the easiest way to start. You can search for a coin and find a price to buy or sell it instantly – at the price of a small commission – and most platforms are beginner-friendly, with lots of material to help you get started. Just be warned that not all brokers offer every coin, so it might be difficult to find Potcoin on one.
- Cryptocurrency exchanges. An exchange is a more advanced version of a broker. Instead of trading through an intermediary, you buy and sell coins directly with other users. There are a lot more coins available on an exchange and the likes of Binance offer a huge range to swap between. If you want to find a smaller coin like Potcoin, often you have to use Bitcoin first as a go-between.
- Funds. A fund is a managed investment vehicle that pools together money from lots of different people. The fund manager decides what to buy and sell. More funds are adding cryptocurrencies to their portfolios, but they tend to be expensive to join so are only available if you have a larger lump sum to start with.
- Mutual funds. Mutual funds are more accessible to the average person. They work in much the same way as funds – a professional chooses where to put a pool of money contributed by many independent investors. Look for a mutual fund that holds cryptocurrencies like Potcoin if you want to get involved, and you can get one as you would a regular stock.
- Potcoin ETFs. Exchange-traded funds are another similar method. An ETF tracks the performance of a particular asset class, sector, or industry. Instead of a professional making decisions, it simply owns the assets or stocks from within that market so its performance reflects theirs. ETFs also trade like normal stocks and are very easy to use for a beginner. Start by looking for a Potcoin ETF or a cryptocurrency ETF.
- Crypto debit cards. Debit cards are a way of spending Potcoin on your day-to-day purchases. Crypto cards work like regular cards, so you can spend whatever you have in your account with merchants that accept them. Potcoin is obviously geared around the cannabis industry, so you will be able to find suppliers that accept crypto payments.
- Smartphone apps. Potcoin apps are a way of managing your cryptocurrency from your mobile phone. These days you can find apps that let you buy, sell, and trade Potcoin on the go and many brokers in particular have high quality apps with the same features as you would find online.
- Potcoin wallets. Crypto wallets are the most secure way of holding coins for a long time. They work by encrypting your coins so that they can only be accessed with a private key that’s unique to you. There are many different types of wallet available, from mobile apps to hardcore offline wallets that keep coins in ‘cold storage’, away from any connection to the internet.