Invezz is an independent platform with the goal of helping users achieve financial freedom. In order to fund our work, we partner with advertisers who compensate us for users that Invezz refers to their services. While our reviews and assessments of each product on the site are independent and unbiased, brands may pay to appear higher up our table rankings or place ads in specific areas of the site. The order in which products and services appear on Invezz does not represent an endorsement from us, and please be aware that there may be other platforms available to you than the products and services that appear on our website. Read more about how we make money >
Ways to invest in Theta
The first thing to do to invest in Theta is sign up with an online broker or a cryptocurrency exchange. These platforms let you buy, sell, and trade Theta coins, and there are pros and cons to each approach.
You can try to turn a quick profit by trading Theta quickly, or buy and hold for the long term in the hope it goes up in price. There are investment vehicles like mutual funds and exchange-traded funds that can help you by offering diversity in exchange for a fee. Learn more about the different approaches using the links below.
What is Theta?
Theta is a video streaming platform. Rather than hosting videos centrally, it uses a system of individuals who offer up their spare bandwidth to host and share the files. The Theta cryptocurrency is used to pay for transactions and to become a host on the platform.
Find out more about cryptocurrency on our courses hub. There you’ll find guides that take you through the different technologies behind cryptocurrencies like Theta. Learning how everything works is a good idea, so you know what you’re spending your hard-earned money on.
How to invest in Theta
There are a variety of different ways to invest in Theta. We’ve listed them below so that you can go through them and familiarise yourself with the options available to you. The best one for you might depend on how soon you want to see returns, how big a budget you have, and how much time you have to spare to manage your investment.
- Broker platforms. A broker is the simplest way to invest. You can create an account very quickly, navigate to a page with all the information on Theta, and buy it straight away at a fixed price. The only things you should be aware of when buying through a broker are that they usually charge you for each trade, either in the form of a flat fee or a percentage of the total amount, and not all coins are available to buy. Brokers are good for the leading cryptos but tend to focus on those at the expense of smaller coins.
- Cryptocurrency exchanges. An exchange platform is the place to go for a wider range of coins. You will be able to buy Theta on an exchange and the prices are often better as there is no intermediary taking a cut of each trade. Instead, you swap coins with other users, buying and selling at a price that’s always fluctuating in response to supply and demand. Just note that while you can buy with fiat currency (like GBP or EUR) on a broker platform, you might have to swap it for a cryptocurrency like Bitcoin to buy smaller coins on an exchange.
- Funds. A fund is a managed portfolio that’s controlled by a professional. Many different investors contribute to a pool of money that is handed to the fund manager, who then decides what to invest in. Funds are ideal if you don’t want to make the investment decisions yourself, but they tend to be expensive to join and might only be appropriate for the wealthiest customers.
- Mutual funds. For everybody else, there’s mutual funds. They offer many of the same benefits as a fund, with a fund manager choosing which assets to buy that will return the best performance for everyone who has a stake in the fund. The assets a mutual fund holds is publicly available information, and each one also provides an information sheet to prospective investors that details its guiding principles and a history of recent performance. Look for one that holds cryptocurrency, has low management fees, and a strong record.
- Theta ETFs. ETF stands for exchange-traded funds, and these are great for beginners as an alternative to a mutual fund. You can buy and sell a stake in an ETF just like you would shares in a company through your broker. They work by holding all of the assets within a particular industry or market so that their performance reflects that of the whole index. They tend to charge lower management fees than mutual funds and require very little maintenance.
- Crypto debit cards. Debit cards let you spend your cryptocurrency online just as you would use a regular bank card. Crypto cards tend only to be available for the most popular coins, so you can easily spend the likes of Bitcoin and Ethereum online, but decentralised finance is a growing industry that is adding new coins all the time, so you might soon be able to spend Theta as well.
- Smartphone apps. Mobile phone apps are a great way to manage your coins from wherever you are. There are apps that let you buy and sell Theta, or you can save it to earn interest, or even stake it as collateral to take out a loan, all from your smartphone.
- Theta wallets. The best place to store your Theta is in a wallet. Wallets are much more secure than leaving coins in a broker or exchange account because they use encryption to protect them from any malicious activity. Wallets come in many different forms, from mobile to hardcore offline editions, and often now include an exchange so you can buy and sell coins straight from your wallet.
Where can I buy Theta coins now?
Recent Theta news
Latest Theta price analysis
Fact-checking & references
Our editors fact-check all content to ensure compliance with our strict editorial policy. The information in this article is supported by the following reliable sources.
Invezz is a place where people can find reliable, unbiased information about finance, trading, and investing – but we do not offer financial advice and users should always carry out their own research. The assets covered on this website, including stocks, cryptocurrencies, and commodities can be highly volatile and new investors often lose money. Success in the financial markets is not guaranteed, and users should never invest more than they can afford to lose. You should consider your own personal circumstances and take the time to explore all your options before making any investment. Read our risk disclaimer >