Samuel Pearson founded S Pearson and Son in 1844 as a construction company. The company grew incredibly over four decades and later moved to London from Yorkshire in 1890. S Pearson and Son landed a significant contract in the early 1900s to construct the East River Tunnels in New York, United States. In the 1920s, the company switched to publishing after acquiring Longman and FT. Since then, the company provides educational products and services to a range of customers, including governments.
In the early 1900s, Pearson had varied interests in several industries, including oil and finance. In 1984, S Pearson and Son changed its name to Pearson Plc. Five years later, the company began divesting its oil interests. In the early 2000s, Pearson divested all other businesses to focus on publishing solely. Pearson listed on the London Stock Exchange in 1969 trading as PSON and on the New York Stock Exchange in 2000 trading as PSO. London headquarters of the company.