In page navigation
How to buy AIG (AIG) stock
Get started in minutes with our preferred broker,. 9/10
82% of retail CFD accounts lose money.
A big part of learning how to buy AIG stocks is finding the best place to make your investment. AIG stocks are available to invest in through an online stock broker, and it usually takes just a few minutes to buy shares in AIG when following our step by step guide.
Where to buy AIG stock?Copy link to section
Based on our research, we’ve ranked the top three brokers where you can buy AIG shares, according to how easy they are to use, how low their fees are, their safety and security rating, and average customer reviews.
77% of retail CFD accounts lose money.
Read more about how we test, rank & review platforms.
How to buy stock in AIG in 3 simple stepsCopy link to section
Buying AIG stock is quick and easy, all you need is an internet connection and a copy of your photo ID. Here’s how to do it.
Step 1. Sign up to eToroCopy link to section
77% of retail CFD accounts lose money.
Step 2. Make a depositCopy link to section
Transfer money to your new account with your credit or debit card, a bank transfer, or an alternative payment method, like PayPal. The minimum deposit is £10.
Step 3. Buy AIG sharesCopy link to section
Search for AIG using the ticker, AIG. Click the ‘trade’ button and enter the details of your investment, such as how many shares you want to buy or how much you want to spend. Hit ‘trade now’ to invest in AIG and complete your purchase.
It’s as easy as that! You can buy AIG shares in just 10-15 minutes and now you’re a AIG shareholder.
Compare the best platforms to buy AIG stockCopy link to section
1. eToro. Best for beginners, copy-trading & demo-account
Pros & Cons
We love eToro because you can trade more than 3,000 stocks, commission free. When you buy stocks on eToro, you’re buying the underlying asset, which means you can earn dividends. Or you can trade fractional shares, which means you can invest in even the most expensive stock from just $10.
As well as being a broker that offers lots of investor protection, eToro offers a very social trading experience. You can easily see what’s trending on the stock market every day, browse the latest analyst opinion about every one of those stocks, and copy other people’s trade suggestions from your desktop or the eToro app.
The fees: Stock and ETF trades are commission free. Stock CFDs are charged a 0.15% spread and overnight fees can apply. You can deposit money for free but you have to pay $5 per withdrawal, and there’s a minimum withdrawal of $30. A $10 per month activity fee is charged if you don’t log in for a year.
77% of retail CFD accounts lose money.
Fundamental analysis of AIG sharesCopy link to section
What is AIG’s total worth?Copy link to section
AIG’s total net worth is $45.64 billion. This is its total market capitalisation, calculated by multiplying the number of shares outstanding on a stock exchange by the current share price.
How has AIG’s share price performed in recent years?Copy link to section
The current AIG stock price today is $61.47, which is 96% below its all time high of $1836.27, which it reached on 04 December, 2000.
Overall, AIG is up 2% over the last five years. The AIG share price is up 10.65% in 2023 with a 52 week high of $65.73 and a 52 week low of $47.05.
What is AIG’s EPS?Copy link to section
AIG’s EPS is $16.56. EPS stands for earnings per share and is calculated by dividing AIG’s net profit by the number of shares outstanding. It gives you an idea of how valuable a company is.
What is the AIG P/E ratio?Copy link to section
AIG’s P/E ratio is 3.71. The P/E, or price to earnings ratio, tells you how much you would have to pay per share for $1 of AIG’s earnings.
It is calculated by dividing the share price by the earnings per share. You can use AIG’s earnings estimates to predict its future (or forward) P/E and set a target price you think the stock can reach.
What is AIG’s dividend yield?Copy link to section
AIG’s dividend yield is 2.05%. The dividend yield tells you how much of AIG’s share price it gives back to shareholders in dividend payments every year.
Is AIG stock a buy or sell?Copy link to section
The indicator below shows you live technical ratings for AIG stock on time frames from one minute to one month.
It tracks a selection of key technical indicators on live market data, including moving averages, relative strength index (RSI), oscillators, and momentum.
This indicator should be used when you research AIG to help you decide whether to buy AIG shares. Past performance is no guarantee of future results. It is not investment advice or a recommendation from Invezz to buy this stock.
Is AIG a good investment for me?Copy link to section
The right answer is different for each person, so here is some information to help you decide whether to buy stocks in AIG.
- AIG operates a diverse global business. It’s one of the largest companies in the United States and one of the world’s leading insurance firms, offering a wide range of insurance and retirement plans to a reliable customer base spanning over 80 countries.
- It’s a dividend-paying stock. Another area where AIG offers something to the investor is by its focus on share buybacks and dividend payments. It was one of the few companies in the insurance industry to keep paying dividends through the pandemic and that’s a good sign for what you can also expect from the future.
- AIG has sold some of its underperforming businesses. It has put in place a number of business development strategies to take advantage of the post-pandemic recovery, such as selling off some of its life insurance business to focus on more profitable areas.
- AIG is considered a value stock. Value stocks are shares in a company that trade at a lower price relative to fundamentals. Many experts consider AIG a value stock with long-term potential, although others believe its P/E and P/B ratios don’t align with a true value stock.
- Its share price is generally stable. For the past few years, AIG’s share price has been relatively stable, although it did experience a drop during the pandemic (which it quickly recovered from). Unlike many other companies that experience large swings in price, AIG offers a smoother investment, allowing you to collect dividends along the way.
It’s always a good idea to think about any potential risks there might be as well. Use this summary of AIG’s pros and cons before you make a final decision on whether to buy AIG stock.
ProsCopy link to section
- AIG operates in over 80 countries and is one of the largest insurance providers
- Its business is diverse, covering several markets
- AIG pays dividends and its stock price is fairly stable
Are there other ways to buy shares in AIG?Copy link to section
Yes, you can invest in AIG stock in a few different ways. One option is to buy stock in AIG directly through an investment platform as laid out above, while another popular choice is to invest in a fund.
Mutual funds provide instant diversification to your investment portfolio by investing in lots of companies at once. You can invest in a NYSE index fund to get exposure to AIG, or choose a dividend ETF.
This can be a good investment strategy for beginners and a way to learn how to buy AIG shares from someone with more experience.
What are the fees for investing in AIG stock?Copy link to section
It depends on the stock broker. Some platforms charge a flat fee per trade, others charge a commission as a percentage of the total trade value each time you buy AIG stocks.
Consider that there may be other costs to trading too. Other fees can include deposit and withdrawal fees, or inactivity fees if you don’t use your account for three months or more.
These are the trading platforms that charge the lowest fees for buying stocks in AIG.
|Trading platform||Trading fees|
|Degiro||$0 (US) / £1.75 (UK)|
How to sell AIG stockCopy link to section
When you decide the time is right to sell and lock in some profit (or cut your losses), log into your broker account and navigate to your portfolio.
From there, find your AIG stock and you’ll see a ‘sell’ option next to it. Click that to set the details of the trade (you don’t have to sell all your stocks at once) and sell back to cash.
Should I buy AIG stock now?Copy link to section
It’s your investing goals and style that define whether now is a good time to buy. The current AIG stock price plays into it but ultimately it depends on your investment horizons.
- If you’re a short term trader: the goal is to make money by buying and selling stocks regularly to secure a profit or avoid a loss. That can mean trading hourly, daily, or weekly but the focus is always on the near future. Traders learn how to buy stocks in AIG based on short term technical analysis and don’t hold shares for a long time, so any time can be a good time to buy AIG.
- If you’re a long term investor: you’re more interested in long term price appreciation than whether a stock is up or down on any given day. The important thing is finding a stock with a strong foundation where you think the share price will be up over a period of months or years. If you think AIG’s fundamentals are solid then the best time to invest in AIG stock is after a dip or a pullback in price.
Most new traders sit somewhere between these two positions. You don’t want to actively trade AIG stock all hours of the day but you don’t want to wait years for a return either.
Either way, following AIG price news and analysis will help you decide when to dip your toe into the market.
U.S insurer AIG’s adjusted earnings decline by 56% in fiscal Q2
Insurer AIG reports a 93% decline in quarterly profit as Coronavirus fuels claims
FTSE 100 preview: Index to open lower amid mounting Ukraine concerns
FAQsCopy link to section
There is no perfect way to value a stock. You can use financial metrics like the P/E ratio to compare share prices among AIG and its competitors, where a higher ratio indicates that a stock is more expensive. But lots of different factors play into AIG’s share price and the ‘right’ valuation is often a matter of opinion.
It depends on where you live but you do normally have to pay capital gains tax any time you make money from investing in AIG.
Capital gains tax is often charged at 10-15% of your profit but there are ways to limit the amount you have to pay, by using tax-friendly stock market investment vehicles and writing off losses.
Speak to an accountant or a tax professional and check the tax laws where you live to find out more.
AIG’s ticker symbol is NYSE:AIG . A ticker symbol, or stock code, is a publicly traded company’s unique identifier so that you can find them on stock exchanges.
Yes, AIG pays a cash dividend. Dividend payments are made on a per share basis, so the more shares you own the more you receive in dividends.
Cash dividends are normally paid directly into your trading account and some brokerage services allow you to reinvest dividends automatically. AIG’s current dividend yield is 2.05%.
AIG has a medium rating from Sustain Analytics for ESG issues. This means it is doing more than similar companies but still has some work to do to meet its objectives better. The company is currently piloting an ESG framework across all of its insurance portfolios to integrate environmental, social, and governance considerations into its products.
Invezz is a place where people can find reliable, unbiased information about finance, trading, and investing – but we do not offer financial advice and users should always carry out their own research. The assets covered on this website, including stocks, cryptocurrencies, and commodities can be highly volatile and new investors often lose money. Success in the financial markets is not guaranteed, and users should never invest more than they can afford to lose. You should consider your own personal circumstances and take the time to explore all your options before making any investment. Read our risk disclaimer >