In page navigation
- 1. How to buy Amazon (AMZN) stock in 2023
- 2. Where to buy Amazon stock?
- 3. How to buy stock in Amazon in 3 simple steps
- 4. Compare the best platforms to buy Amazon stock
- 5. Fundamental analysis of Amazon shares
- 6. Is Amazon a good investment for me?
- 7. How to sell Amazon stock
- 8. Should I buy Amazon stock now?
- 9. FAQs
How to buy Amazon (AMZN) stock in 2023
Get started in minutes with our preferred broker,. 9/10
82% of retail CFD accounts lose money.
A big part of learning how to buy Amazon stocks is finding the best place to make your investment. Amazon stocks are available to invest in through an online stock broker, and it usually takes just a few minutes to buy shares in Amazon when following our step by step guide.
Where to buy Amazon stock?Copy link to section
Based on our research, we’ve ranked the top five brokers where you can buy Amazon shares, according to how easy they are to use, how low their fees are, their safety and security rating, and average customer reviews.
77% of retail CFD accounts lose money.
Read more about how we test, rank & review platforms.
How to buy stock in Amazon in 3 simple stepsCopy link to section
Buying Amazon stock is quick and easy, all you need is an internet connection and a copy of your photo ID. Here’s how to do it.
Step 1. Sign up to eToroCopy link to section
77% of retail CFD accounts lose money.
Step 2. Make a depositCopy link to section
Transfer money to your new account with your credit or debit card, a bank transfer, or an alternative payment method, like PayPal. The minimum deposit is £10.
Step 3. Buy Amazon sharesCopy link to section
Search for Amazon using the ticker, AMZN. Click the ‘trade’ button and enter the details of your investment, such as how many shares you want to buy or how much you want to spend. Hit ‘trade now’ to invest in Amazon and complete your purchase.
It’s as easy as that! You can buy Amazon shares in just 10-15 minutes and now you’re a Amazon shareholder.
Compare the best platforms to buy Amazon stockCopy link to section
1. eToro. Best for beginners, copy-trading & demo-account
Pros & Cons
We love eToro because you can trade more than 3,000 stocks, commission free. When you buy stocks on eToro, you’re buying the underlying asset, which means you can earn dividends. Or you can trade fractional shares, which means you can invest in even the most expensive stock from just $10.
As well as being a broker that offers lots of investor protection, eToro offers a very social trading experience. You can easily see what’s trending on the stock market every day, browse the latest analyst opinion about every one of those stocks, and copy other people’s trade suggestions from your desktop or the eToro app.
The fees: Stock and ETF trades are commission free. Stock CFDs are charged a 0.15% spread and overnight fees can apply. You can deposit money for free but you have to pay $5 per withdrawal, and there’s a minimum withdrawal of $30. A $10 per month activity fee is charged if you don’t log in for a year.
77% of retail CFD accounts lose money.
Fundamental analysis of Amazon sharesCopy link to section
What is Amazon’s total worth?Copy link to section
Amazon’s total net worth is $923.56 billion. This is its total market capitalisation, calculated by multiplying the number of shares outstanding on a stock exchange by the current share price.
How has Amazon’s share price performed in recent years?Copy link to section
The current Amazon stock price today is $90.53, which is 52% below its all time high of $188.65, which it reached on 12 July, 2021.
Overall, AMZN is up 61% over the last five years. The AMZN share price is down 46% in 2023 with a 52 week high of $188.11 and a 52 week low of $88.04.
What is Amazon’s EPS?Copy link to section
Amazon’s EPS is $1.12. EPS stands for earnings per share and is calculated by dividing Amazon’s net profit by the number of shares outstanding. It gives you an idea of how valuable a company is.
What is the Amazon P/E ratio?Copy link to section
Amazon’s P/E ratio is 80.83. The P/E, or price to earnings ratio, tells you how much you would have to pay per share for $1 of Amazon’s earnings.
It is calculated by dividing the share price by the earnings per share. You can use Amazon’s earnings estimates to predict its future (or forward) P/E and set a target price you think the stock can reach.
What is Amazon’s dividend yield?Copy link to section
Amazon’s dividend yield is 0%. The dividend yield tells you how much of Amazon’s share price it gives back to shareholders in dividend payments every year.
Is Amazon stock a buy or sell?Copy link to section
The indicator below shows you live technical ratings for Amazon stock on time frames from one minute to one month.
It tracks a selection of key technical indicators on live market data, including moving averages, relative strength index (RSI), oscillators, and momentum.
This indicator should be used when you research Amazon to help you decide whether to buy Amazon shares. Past performance is no guarantee of future results. It is not investment advice or a recommendation from Invezz to buy this stock.
Is Amazon a good investment for me?Copy link to section
The right answer is different for each person, so here is some information to help you decide whether to buy stocks in Amazon.
- Amazon is one of the world’s largest retailers. Amazon is the second largest retail business in the world just behind Walmart. Unlike many of its competitors, Amazon focuses on e-commerce rather than brick-and-mortar stores. It is by far the largest online retailer in the world and in 2021, its online stores generated $222 billion in revenue.
- Its business is diverse. While best known as an online retailer, Amazon has spread its operations across several industries. It develops and sells a range of products including hardware devices (Alexas), has its own music and television streaming services, and operates a successful cloud computing business.
- Amazon’s cloud computing business is growing. Amazon Web Services is Amazon’s solution to cloud computing. In 2014 it began to include AWS’ revenue breakdown in its annual results. In the time since AWS has generated year-on-year revenue growth and made over $60 billion in 2021 alone. While that number falls some way short of the $222 billion from its retail segment, AWS remains a lucrative business for Amazon.
- Stock splits have made its shares more affordable. Amazon’s stock price has been on an upward trend for many years and in the early half of 2022, its price peaked at above $2000 a share. That figure was unaffordable for many investors and the company completed a 20-for-1 stock split in June 2022 taking its price to just above $100.
- Amazon employs over a million people, although controversy surrounds its workforce. Amazon employs over a million workers across the world. Most are employed to work in its regional warehouses and pack orders for delivery. In Amazon’s desire for fast delivery, many of its workforces have complained at being overworked for low pay. In 2021, a New York Times investigation uncovered the company had been shortchanging workers’ paychecks.
- Its stock price has lost 50% in value since 2021. Since its IPO in 1997 Amazon’s share price has increased by over 17,000%. Much of that growth has come in the past decade although recent times have proven to be more difficult for the company. Since 2021 its share price has lost 50% in value – this could be seen as a positive for investors bullish on the company as you could buy at a discounted price.
It’s always a good idea to think about any potential risks there might be as well. Use this summary of Amazon’s pros and cons before you make a final decision on whether to buy Amazon stock.
ProsCopy link to section
- Amazon is the world’s largest online retailer
- Its cloud computing business continues to grow
- Amazon’s business model is diverse and it operates in numerous industries
Are there other ways to buy shares in Amazon?Copy link to section
Yes, you can invest in Amazon stock in a few different ways. One option is to buy stock in Amazon directly through an investment platform as laid out above, while another popular choice is to invest in a fund.
Mutual funds provide instant diversification to your investment portfolio by investing in lots of companies at once. You can invest in an S&P index fund to get exposure to Amazon, or choose a tech ETF.
This can be a good investment strategy for beginners and a way to learn how to buy Amazon shares from someone with more experience.
What are the fees for investing in Amazon stock?Copy link to section
It depends on the stock broker. Some platforms charge a flat fee per trade, others charge a commission as a percentage of the total trade value each time you buy Amazon stocks.
Consider that there may be other costs to trading too. Other fees can include deposit and withdrawal fees, or inactivity fees if you don’t use your account for three months or more.
These are the trading platforms that charge the lowest fees for buying stocks in Amazon.
|Trading platform||Trading fees|
|Degiro||$0 (US) / £1.75 (UK)|
How to sell Amazon stockCopy link to section
When you decide the time is right to sell and lock in some profit (or cut your losses), log into your broker account and navigate to your portfolio.
From there, find your Amazon stock and you’ll see a ‘sell’ option next to it. Click that to set the details of the trade (you don’t have to sell all your stocks at once) and sell back to cash.
Should I buy Amazon stock now?Copy link to section
It’s your investing goals and style that define whether now is a good time to buy. The current Amazon stock price plays into it but ultimately it depends on your investment horizons.
- If you’re a short term trader: the goal is to make money by buying and selling stocks regularly to secure a profit or avoid a loss. That can mean trading hourly, daily, or weekly but the focus is always on the near future. Traders learn how to buy stocks in Amazon based on short term technical analysis and don’t hold shares for a long time, so any time can be a good time to buy AMZN.
- If you’re a long term investor: you’re more interested in long term price appreciation than whether a stock is up or down on any given day. The important thing is finding a stock with a strong foundation where you think the share price will be up over a period of months or years. If you think Amazon’s fundamentals are solid then the best time to invest in Amazon stock is after a dip or a pullback in price.
Most new traders sit somewhere between these two positions. You don’t want to actively trade Amazon stock all hours of the day but you don’t want to wait years for a return either.
Either way, following AMZN price news and analysis will help you decide when to dip your toe into the market.
Amazon will hire 250,000 new employees to prepare for holiday demand
BMW partners with Amazon on next-gen automated driving platform
Gina Sanchez says Amazon stock ‘has something for everyone’
FAQsCopy link to section
There is no perfect way to value a stock. You can use financial metrics like the P/E ratio to compare share prices among Amazon and its competitors, where a higher ratio indicates that a stock is more expensive. But lots of different factors play into Amazon’s share price and the ‘right’ valuation is often a matter of opinion.
It depends on where you live but you do normally have to pay capital gains tax any time you make money from investing in Amazon.
Capital gains tax is often charged at 10-15% of your profit but there are ways to limit the amount you have to pay, by using tax-friendly stock market investment vehicles and writing off losses.
Speak to an accountant or a tax professional and check the tax laws where you live to find out more.
Google’s ticker symbol is NASDAQ:AMZN. A ticker symbol, or stock code, is a publicly traded company’s unique identifier so that you can find them on stock exchanges.
No, Amazon does not pay a cash dividend.
Amazon is considered high risk when it comes to ESG issues according to a report by Sustain Analytics. It ranks poorly for several ESG criteria and is ranked 460 out of 465 retail businesses (465 being the worst).
Jeff Bezos is the largest individual shareholder of Amazon stock. He currently owns approximately 996 billion shares which represent over 9% of the company.
Invezz is a place where people can find reliable, unbiased information about finance, trading, and investing – but we do not offer financial advice and users should always carry out their own research. The assets covered on this website, including stocks, cryptocurrencies, and commodities can be highly volatile and new investors often lose money. Success in the financial markets is not guaranteed, and users should never invest more than they can afford to lose. You should consider your own personal circumstances and take the time to explore all your options before making any investment. Read our risk disclaimer >