How to buy Ammo shares (AMMO)
Invezz is an independent platform with the goal of helping users achieve financial freedom. In order to fund our work, we partner with advertisers who compensate us for users that Invezz refers to their services. While our reviews and assessments of each product on the site are independent and unbiased, brands may pay to appear higher up our table rankings or place ads in specific areas of the site. The order in which products and services appear on Invezz does not represent an endorsement from us, and please be aware that there may be other platforms available to you than the products and services that appear on our website. Read more about how we make money >
This page covers all the most important information to help you invest in Ammo. Learn about its unique qualities, recent history, and get a grounding on what to look out for in the future. Then follow our step-by-step guide to get your first share.
Compare the best Ammo trading platforms
To invest in any stock you need to sign up for an online broker. The list below includes all the best options available today and you can get started with any of them by following the links. Alternatively, keep reading to learn more about Ammo first.
How to buy Ammo stock, a step-by-step guide
The process of getting shares in Ammo isn’t massively complicated, so don’t worry even if you’re new to stock investing. These are the steps to follow in order to complete your investment:
- Choose a broker. You will need to use an online brokerage platform. There are many different options to choose from, each with their own unique benefits and drawbacks. The comparison table above can help you select the right broker for you, and you can head to our comprehensive broker reviews if you’re still unsure.
- Create an account. Once you’ve selected your broker, simply go to their website and create an account. The steps required for this will vary from platform to platform, but generally you can expect to have to provide your name, email address, phone number, and some form of photo identification.
- Deposit funds. Log into your broker account and select the option to deposit funds. Depending on your broker you’ll have a variety of payment options available; most brokers accept bank transfers and debit card payments, but not all accept e-wallets such as PayPal. Select your preferred payment method and deposit the amount of money you wish to invest in Ammo shares.
- Place an order for AMMO stock. Search for Ammo’s ticker symbol (AMMO) and see the current price at which the stock is trading. If you’re happy with the price, enter the amount of shares you wish to own and place your order.
- Execute your order. Once you have placed your order, your broker will automatically execute it for you and your Ammo shares will be listed in your account. Congratulations, you’ve just bought shares in Ammo.
Should I invest in Ammo?
That depends on whether you’re an investor who likes to take risks. Ammo has spent a lot of time as an out-and-out penny stock, trading below $5 a share, and that type of stock is notoriously volatile. It’s possible to make a lot of money but you can end up losing a big chunk of your investment as well.
Ammo has only existed since March 2017, when it merged with a dormant company, so there is a limited amount of history to go on. What is clear is that Ammo stock tends to rise and fall in cycles, in response to a combination of hype, politics, and news events.
The reason for that is that Ammo, as both its name and its stock ticker (POWW – yes, really) suggest, is in the ammunition trade. As a result, it might not be the sort of company that everyone wants to invest in, but if you are interested you need to consider the fact that it’s extremely sensitive to forces that it has no control over, such as election results and regulation.
How has the company performed in recent years?
It has performed well enough for Ammo to have been added to the NASDAQ Stock Exchange in December 2020. Prior to that, it had been an over-the-counter (OTC) stock, which is a particularly risky place for a company to be, as the shares are difficult to buy and, as such, find it difficult to attract investors.
Ammo was able to jump onto the NASDAQ thanks to some good financial results, as it has attracted more customers each year and increased sales. It still hasn’t turned a profit but it has been able to report adjusted net profits in recent times, which is a significant step forward even if the lack of pure profit is a concern.
The new listing and sales increase helped push the stock price up to all time highs in 2021, in the aftermath of the US Presidential Election. Counterintuitively, a Democratic victory and prospect of future legislation led to investors pouring money into the company in the expectation of a jump in sales in the short term.
Is it a good time to buy Ammo shares now?
That’s up to you, because there are a lot of things to consider before you invest. Ammo itself lists many pages of risk factors on their own annual report to investors, and the most obvious is the potential for new laws on gun control in the US.
However, the gun lobby is powerful and it’s very unlikely there would be an outright ban. Ammo owns a number of unique brands and has spent the last few years acquiring other companies in order to grow. As part of its NASDAQ listing, it raised millions of dollars to help expand the business.
You should keep an eye on the latest news to see whether the company is putting that money to good use. The news is also a good place to start to keep track of political developments that could affect your investment, and you can use the links below to find out what’s going on.
Buying, selling and trading Ammo shares for beginners
What to do before buying shares
You should always take the time to research a stock fully before investing your money, especially if you haven’t bought shares before. The more knowledge you have, the better your chances of making a wise investment.
With that in mind, here’s a checklist to run through before you start.
- Research the company. You should always examine the fundamentals of a company first. What is Ammo? How did the company get its start? How did it grow? Is Ammo’s revenue and profit growth picking up? Is the company innovating? The more you know about Ammo, the better positioned you’ll be to make smart investment decisions.
- Make sure you understand the basics of stock investing. Before getting involved in the stock market, make sure you have an understanding of how it works. This will ensure that you have more clearly defined goals and have thought through how you will achieve them.
- Decide between share dealing and CFD trading. Choose the type of investment strategy you want to pursue, and make sure you have carried out the necessary fundamental or technical analysis for share dealing and CFD trading respectively.
- Set the size of your budget. The golden rule of investing is never to risk more than you can afford to lose. Not every investment you make will result in a profit, so it is important to set a budget that not only allows good potential for capital growth, but also protects against overly damaging losses.
- Find the right broker. Individual brokers each have their own pros and cons. Some will have low fees but have a user interface you struggle to understand, whereas others may be a bit more expensive but come with a range of features that you want to take advantage of. Our broker reviews can help you find the right platform for you.
- Examine broader market conditions. No stock exists in a vacuum, and it’s always important to analyse the general trends of the stock market as a whole before investing. If a bear market is setting in and stock prices are falling, it’s best to wait it out and invest your money later when the stock is cheaper. If, however, the market is looking bullish, you’ll want to make your investment quickly to get the maximum benefit from rising stock prices. Our news section can help you keep on top of movements in the financial markets.
What is the difference between buying, selling, and trading shares?
If you’re new to stock investing, then it’s important to understand the basics of how to buy, sell, and trade Ammo shares. Here’s a quick run-through of what’s involved in each.
This process involves finding a broker and placing an order for Ammo stock, as outlined in the steps further up this page. Ideally you want to time your investment when the stock’s price is low so that you can profit by selling the shares after they increase in value.
When you sell any Ammo shares you have bought, you’ll want to do so at a higher price than the one at which you bought to earn a profit.
When you sell is up to you. You might decide to hold for a long period of time, hoping to benefit from the company growing steadily throughout. Or, if you see that Ammo’s stock is already up a lot compared to the price you bought it and you’ve noticed that the stock market is starting to fall, it might make sense to sell and take your profits to invest elsewhere. Equally, if the stock has fallen since you bought it and looks set to fall further, it might be a good idea to cut your losses by selling your shares.
Trading is the same process, it’s just done over shorter periods of time with the aim to make small profits on a regular basis. This means that you can make money faster and spend your profits in your day-to-day life – however, on the other side it means you can lose money faster as well. For inexperienced investors, we generally recommend making investments for at least 6 months to a year instead of making trades in quick succession.
You can trade Ammo shares through buying and selling shares, or by trading with CFDs. These allow investors to speculate on stock prices and trade with leverage in pursuit of bigger gains. CFDs trading is explained further in the next section, but it is worth noting that beginners should avoid trading with leverage. It comes with large risks and is best left to experienced investors.
Share dealing vs CFD trading
When it comes to investing in any stock, the two options you have are share dealing and trading. Which one of these methods to opt for largely depends on your investment timeline, with investors thinking long term tending to go for share dealing, and those looking for short term gains pursuing a more aggressive trading strategy.
Here’s a quick summary of the two approaches, and the pros and cons of each.
Share dealing refers to the practice of buying and holding shares in a particular company over the long term. When investing like this, you’re seeking to profit either from dividend payments or an increase in the stock’s price over time.
When investing your money this way, it is important to do thorough fundamental analysis of the company in which you are investing. You want to put your money in a stock you believe will trend upwards over time, even if there is some market volatility along the way, rather than get distracted by shorter term peaks and troughs.
- Can build wealth over time to achieve financial goals
- Don’t need to be very reactive to short-term market movements
- Some stocks will give you an income through regular dividend payments
- Takes a long time to realise any profits
- Your capital is tied up in stocks and cannot be used for other investments
If your aim is to generate profits in the short term, then you might be better off trading shares than holding them in your portfolio. Stock trades like this are executed using CFDs (contracts for difference), which allow investors to trade against the value of a stock without having to take ownership of it. When CFD trading, investors are looking to buy and sell stocks fast to profit from short-term fluctuations in value.
One aspect of CFD trading that many investors find attractive is that they allow you to trade with leverage. This means you can place large trades while only putting up a fraction of the value yourself – for instance, if a platform offered leverage of 1:10, you could put £10 into AMMO shares and be able to trade £100 worth. This can maximise profits if the market moves in your favour, but be careful as it can also lead to heavy losses.
When trading using CFDs, it is key to be skilled at technical analysis and reading stock price charts. As you’re trading stocks quickly and frequently, the fundamental strength of the company in which you’re investing isn’t as important as being able to predict how its stock price will rise and fall minute-by-minute.
- Can generate fast profits if you read the market right
- Some platforms allow you to trade with leverage
- Prevents your capital being tied up so you can take advantage of investment opportunities
- Trading with leverage is risky and can lead to big losses
- Doesn’t necessarily generate growth over the long term
Consider which approach suits you best and craft an investment strategy that works for you. If you need more information, then simply take our course on how to trade stocks.
How to choose a broker
With the wide variety of online brokers available these days, it can be hard to figure out which is the best service to go with. Our comparison table and in-depth reviews can help you cut through the noise, but by and large these are the aspects you should be considering when selecting a broker:
- Range of stocks available. The most important thing is that you can actually use the broker to find the shares you’re looking for. Some brokers offer more stocks than others, and many will allow you to trade other assets, such as forex and commodities.
- Fees and commissions. You want to keep as large a chunk of your profits as you can, so it’s important to make sure your broker doesn’t charge high fees that can eat into your profits.
- Regulation. You should only use regulated brokers. Unregulated brokers can be risky and offer little to no protection if the business were to fail while you had funds in your account.
- Payment methods available. You might want to fund your trading account using a specific payment method, such as PayPal. Not all brokers accept every payment method, but using our comparisons you can search only the brokers that support the option you’re looking for.
- Reputation. One of the strongest indicators of a broker’s reliability is the reputation it has with the customers who have used it. Brokers are online businesses, and as such many user experiences can be found online. You can check these out in addition to our reviews to make sure you choose the right platform.
- Customer service. As you’re going to be investing your money using the platform, you want to check that the broker offers good customer service in case you have a query or something goes wrong.
Latest Ammo news
Stock trading courses
Long-term Stock Investing
Short-term Stock Trading
Invezz is a place where people can find reliable, unbiased information about finance, trading, and investing – but we do not offer financial advice and users should always carry out their own research. The assets covered on this website, including stocks, cryptocurrencies, and commodities can be highly volatile and new investors often lose money. Success in the financial markets is not guaranteed, and users should never invest more than they can afford to lose. You should consider your own personal circumstances and take the time to explore all your options before making any investment. Read our risk disclaimer >