Invezz is an independent platform with the goal of helping users achieve financial freedom. In order to fund our work, we partner with advertisers who compensate us for users that Invezz refers to their services. While our reviews and assessments of each product on the site are independent and unbiased, brands may pay to appear higher up our table rankings or place ads in specific areas of the site. The order in which products and services appear on Invezz does not represent an endorsement from us, and please be aware that there may be other platforms available to you than the products and services that appear on our website. Read more about how we make money >
How to buy Hertz shares
This page explains what you need to know about Hertz. We run through its recent performance, a look at its business and whether now is the time to add the stock to your portfolio.
Compare the best Hertz trading platforms
If you are ready to go ahead and buy shares in Hertz, you can do so by clicking one of the links below. Choose from our expertly selected brokers or continue reading for more information on the stock.
How to buy Hertz stock, a step-by-step guide
The process of getting shares in Hertz isn’t massively complicated, so don’t worry even if you’re new to stock investing. These are the steps to follow in order to complete your investment:
- Choose a broker. You will need to use an online brokerage platform. There are many different options to choose from, each with their own unique benefits and drawbacks. The comparison table above can help you select the right broker for you, and you can head to our comprehensive broker reviews if you’re still unsure.
- Create an account. Once you’ve selected your broker, simply go to their website and create an account. The steps required for this will vary from platform to platform, but generally you can expect to have to provide your name, email address, phone number, and some form of photo identification.
- Deposit funds. Log into your broker account and select the option to deposit funds. Depending on your broker you’ll have a variety of payment options available; most brokers accept bank transfers and debit card payments, but not all accept e-wallets such as PayPal. Select your preferred payment method and deposit the amount of money you wish to invest in Hertz shares.
- Place an order for HTZZ stock. Search for Hertz’s ticker symbol (HTZZ) and see the current price at which the stock is trading. If you’re happy with the price, enter the amount of shares you wish to own and place your order.
- Execute your order. Once you have placed your order, your broker will automatically execute it for you and your Hertz shares will be listed in your account. Congratulations, you’ve just bought shares in Hertz.
Should I invest in Hertz?
It could be a good time to buy shares now, but you may want to consider a few things first. On one hand the company filed for bankruptcy in 2020 when the coronavirus pandemic hit. On the other, it showed resilience by emerging from its difficulties and now operates in an industry that is experiencing a boom.
Founded over a hundred years ago by Chicago native, Walter L Jacobs, with a dozen Ford cars, Hertz has grown into one of the largest worldwide vehicle rental companies operating in 160 countries. Made famous by its black and yellow colours often seen in airport arrival gates, it also owns Thrifty Car Rental and the Dollar Rent a Car brands.
WHen it filed for bankruptcy, it had to set up as a new company and start trading on a smaller stock market under a new ticker symbol, HTZZ. It will probably be added back onto the NASDAQ stock exchange soon, but is a bit more risky until then.
How has the company performed in recent years?
It has experienced a tough couple of years and was one of the worst hit companies during coronavirus lockdowns. For part of 2020 travel was almost non-existent and the car rental market suffered badly. Hertz lost all revenue when the pandemic took hold.
Stuck with an $18 billion debt and no money to repay, it was left with no choice but to file for chapter 11 bankruptcy when it was unable to pay back $400 million to lenders. However, it recovered quickly and emerged from bankruptcy in 2021 when two investment firms pumped nearly $6 billion into the company.
Later in 2021, the company which now trades on the over-the-counter market, announced a deal to purchase 100,000 Teslas as it shifts to move its fleet to electric vehicles. The deal, worth $4.2 billion amounts to about a fifth of its cars and will see it build a network of charging stations across the United States.
Is it a good time to buy Hertz shares now?
It could be a good time to buy now, but it depends on your tolerance to risk and whether you think the company can succeed after such a difficult time. It has gone through a lot of changes, by cutting staff and selling many of its vehicles, but investors seem to be optimistic and have pushed its share price up 30% in the past year.
It already has started working on future plans after its deal with Tesla and moving towards electric vehicles. Travel has almost resumed to pre-pandemic levels, which obviously bodes well for the company as people are renting cars again.
The combination of its ability to emerge from bankruptcy, its deals with major car companies, and a booming car rental market, could make it a good time to buy shares in Hertz. If you do invest in the company, you can keep up with the latest news and market analysis for HTZZ by reading any of the links below.
Buying, selling and trading Hertz shares for beginners
What to do before buying shares
You should always take the time to research a stock fully before investing your money, especially if you haven’t bought shares before. The more knowledge you have, the better your chances of making a wise investment.
With that in mind, here’s a checklist to run through before you start.
- Research the company. You should always examine the fundamentals of a company first. What is Hertz? How did the company get its start? How did it grow? Is Hertz’s revenue and profit growth picking up? Is the company innovating? The more you know about Hertz, the better positioned you’ll be to make smart investment decisions.
- Make sure you understand the basics of stock investing. Before getting involved in the stock market, make sure you have an understanding of how it works. This will ensure that you have more clearly defined goals and have thought through how you will achieve them.
- Decide between share dealing and CFD trading. Choose the type of investment strategy you want to pursue, and make sure you have carried out the necessary fundamental or technical analysis for share dealing and CFD trading respectively.
- Set the size of your budget. The golden rule of investing is never to risk more than you can afford to lose. Not every investment you make will result in a profit, so it is important to set a budget that not only allows good potential for capital growth, but also protects against overly damaging losses.
- Find the right broker. Individual brokers each have their own pros and cons. Some will have low fees but have a user interface you struggle to understand, whereas others may be a bit more expensive but come with a range of features that you want to take advantage of. Our broker reviews can help you find the right platform for you.
- Examine broader market conditions. No stock exists in a vacuum, and it’s always important to analyse the general trends of the stock market as a whole before investing. If a bear market is setting in and stock prices are falling, it’s best to wait it out and invest your money later when the stock is cheaper. If, however, the market is looking bullish, you’ll want to make your investment quickly to get the maximum benefit from rising stock prices. Our news section can help you keep on top of movements in the financial markets.
What is the difference between buying, selling, and trading shares?
If you’re new to stock investing, then it’s important to understand the basics of how to buy, sell, and trade Hertz shares. Here’s a quick run-through of what’s involved in each.
This process involves finding a broker and placing an order for Hertz stock, as outlined in the steps further up this page. Ideally you want to time your investment when the stock’s price is low so that you can profit by selling the shares after they increase in value.
When you sell any Hertz shares you have bought, you’ll want to do so at a higher price than the one at which you bought to earn a profit.
When you sell is up to you. You might decide to hold for a long period of time, hoping to benefit from the company growing steadily throughout. Or, if you see that Hertz’s stock is already up a lot compared to the price you bought it and you’ve noticed that the stock market is starting to fall, it might make sense to sell and take your profits to invest elsewhere. Equally, if the stock has fallen since you bought it and looks set to fall further, it might be a good idea to cut your losses by selling your shares.
Trading is the same process, it’s just done over shorter periods of time with the aim to make small profits on a regular basis. This means that you can make money faster and spend your profits in your day-to-day life – however, on the other side it means you can lose money faster as well. For inexperienced investors, we generally recommend making investments for at least 6 months to a year instead of making trades in quick succession.
You can trade Hertz shares through buying and selling shares, or by trading with CFDs. These allow investors to speculate on stock prices and trade with leverage in pursuit of bigger gains. CFDs trading is explained further in the next section, but it is worth noting that beginners should avoid trading with leverage. It comes with large risks and is best left to experienced investors.
Share dealing vs CFD trading
When it comes to investing in any stock, the two options you have are share dealing and trading. Which one of these methods to opt for largely depends on your investment timeline, with investors thinking long term tending to go for share dealing, and those looking for short term gains pursuing a more aggressive trading strategy.
Here’s a quick summary of the two approaches, and the pros and cons of each.
Share dealing refers to the practice of buying and holding shares in a particular company over the long term. When investing like this, you’re seeking to profit either from dividend payments or an increase in the stock’s price over time.
When investing your money this way, it is important to do thorough fundamental analysis of the company in which you are investing. You want to put your money in a stock you believe will trend upwards over time, even if there is some market volatility along the way, rather than get distracted by shorter term peaks and troughs.
- Can build wealth over time to achieve financial goals
- Don’t need to be very reactive to short-term market movements
- Some stocks will give you an income through regular dividend payments
- Takes a long time to realise any profits
- Your capital is tied up in stocks and cannot be used for other investments
If your aim is to generate profits in the short term, then you might be better off trading shares than holding them in your portfolio. Stock trades like this are executed using CFDs (contracts for difference), which allow investors to trade against the value of a stock without having to take ownership of it. When CFD trading, investors are looking to buy and sell stocks fast to profit from short-term fluctuations in value.
One aspect of CFD trading that many investors find attractive is that they allow you to trade with leverage. This means you can place large trades while only putting up a fraction of the value yourself – for instance, if a platform offered leverage of 1:10, you could put £10 into HTZZ shares and be able to trade £100 worth. This can maximise profits if the market moves in your favour, but be careful as it can also lead to heavy losses.
When trading using CFDs, it is key to be skilled at technical analysis and reading stock price charts. As you’re trading stocks quickly and frequently, the fundamental strength of the company in which you’re investing isn’t as important as being able to predict how its stock price will rise and fall minute-by-minute.
- Can generate fast profits if you read the market right
- Some platforms allow you to trade with leverage
- Prevents your capital being tied up so you can take advantage of investment opportunities
- Trading with leverage is risky and can lead to big losses
- Doesn’t necessarily generate growth over the long term
Consider which approach suits you best and craft an investment strategy that works for you. If you need more information, then simply take our course on how to trade stocks.
How to choose a broker
With the wide variety of online brokers available these days, it can be hard to figure out which is the best service to go with. Our comparison table and in-depth reviews can help you cut through the noise, but by and large these are the aspects you should be considering when selecting a broker:
- Range of stocks available. The most important thing is that you can actually use the broker to find the shares you’re looking for. Some brokers offer more stocks than others, and many will allow you to trade other assets, such as forex and commodities.
- Fees and commissions. You want to keep as large a chunk of your profits as you can, so it’s important to make sure your broker doesn’t charge high fees that can eat into your profits.
- Regulation. You should only use regulated brokers. Unregulated brokers can be risky and offer little to no protection if the business were to fail while you had funds in your account.
- Payment methods available. You might want to fund your trading account using a specific payment method, such as PayPal. Not all brokers accept every payment method, but using our comparisons you can search only the brokers that support the option you’re looking for.
- Reputation. One of the strongest indicators of a broker’s reliability is the reputation it has with the customers who have used it. Brokers are online businesses, and as such many user experiences can be found online. You can check these out in addition to our reviews to make sure you choose the right platform.
- Customer service. As you’re going to be investing your money using the platform, you want to check that the broker offers good customer service in case you have a query or something goes wrong.
Latest Hertz news
Stock trading courses
Long-term Stock Investing
Short-term Stock Trading
Invezz is a place where people can find reliable, unbiased information about finance, trading, and investing – but we do not offer financial advice and users should always carry out their own research. The assets covered on this website, including stocks, cryptocurrencies, and commodities can be highly volatile and new investors often lose money. Success in the financial markets is not guaranteed, and users should never invest more than they can afford to lose. You should consider your own personal circumstances and take the time to explore all your options before making any investment. Read our risk disclaimer >