In page navigation
- 1. How to buy Meta (META) stock
- 2. Where to buy Facebook stock?
- 3. How to buy stock in Facebook in 3 simple steps
- 4. Compare the best platforms to buy Facebook stock
- 5. Fundamental analysis of Meta shares
- 6. Is Meta a good investment for me?
- 7. How to sell Meta stock
- 8. Should I buy Facebook stock now?
- 9. FAQs
How to buy Meta (META) stock
Get started in minutes with our preferred broker,. 10/10
77% of retail CFD accounts lose money.
A big part of learning how to buy Meta stocks is finding the best place to make your investment. Meta stocks are available to invest in through an online stock broker, and it usually takes just a few minutes to buy shares in Meta when following our step by step guide.
Where to buy Facebook stock?
The best stock trading platform to use to buy Meta stock is eToro .
Based on our research, we’ve ranked the top three brokers where you can buy Facebook shares, according to how easy they are to use, how low their fees are, their safety and security rating, and average customer reviews.
77% of retail CFD accounts lose money.
Read more about how we test, rank & review platforms.
How to buy stock in Facebook in 3 simple steps
Buying Meta stock is quick and easy, all you need is an internet connection and a copy of your photo ID. Here’s how to do it.
Step 1. Sign up to eToro
eToro is the best stock trading platform for beginners. Fill in your details to set up a brokerage account and attach a copy of your ID to verify it.
77% of retail CFD accounts lose money.
Step 2. Make a deposit
Transfer money to your new account with your credit or debit card, a bank transfer, or an alternative payment method, like PayPal. The minimum deposit is £10.
Step 3. Buy Meta shares
Search for Facebook using the ticker, META. Click the ‘trade’ button and enter the details of your investment, such as how many shares you want to buy or how much you want to spend. Hit ‘trade now’ to invest in Meta and complete your purchase.
It’s as easy as that! You can buy Facebook shares in just 10-15 minutes and now you’re a Meta shareholder.
Compare the best platforms to buy Facebook stock
1. eToro. Best for beginners, copy-trading & demo-account
Pros & Cons
We love eToro because you can trade more than 3,000 stocks, commission free. When you buy stocks on eToro, you’re buying the underlying asset, which means you can earn dividends. Or you can trade fractional shares, which means you can invest in even the most expensive stock from just $10.
As well as being a broker that offers lots of investor protection, eToro offers a very social trading experience. You can easily see what’s trending on the stock market every day, browse the latest analyst opinion about every one of those stocks, and copy other people’s trade suggestions from your desktop or the eToro app.
The fees: Stock and ETF trades are commission free. Stock CFDs are charged a 0.15% spread and overnight fees can apply. You can deposit money for free but you have to pay $5 per withdrawal, and there’s a minimum withdrawal of $30. A $10 per month activity fee is charged if you don’t log in for a year.
77% of retail CFD accounts lose money.
Fundamental analysis of Meta shares
What is Meta’s total worth?
Meta’s total net worth is $385.62 billion. This is its total market capitalisation, calculated by multiplying the number of shares outstanding on a stock exchange by the current share price.
How has Meta’s share price performed in recent years?
The current Meta stock price today is $146.68, which is 61.76% below its all time high of $384.33, which it reached on 30 August, 2021.
Overall, META is down 21.29% over the last five years. The META share price is up 18.67% in 2023 with a 52 week high of $328] and a 52 week low of $88.09.
What is Meta’s EPS?
Meta’s EPS is $10.16. EPS stands for earnings per share and is calculated by dividing Meta’s net profit by the number of shares outstanding. It gives you an idea of how valuable a company is.
What is the Meta P/E ratio?
Meta’s P/E ratio is 14.47. The P/E, or price to earnings ratio, tells you how much you would have to pay per share for $1 of Meta’s earnings.
It is calculated by dividing the share price by the earnings per share. You can use Meta’s earnings estimates to predict its future (or forward) P/E and set a target price you think the stock can reach.
What is Meta’s dividend yield?
Meta’s dividend yield is 0%. The dividend yield tells you how much of Meta’s share price it gives back to shareholders in dividend payments every year. Meta does not currently pay a dividend.
Is Facebook stock a buy or sell?
The indicator below shows you live technical ratings for Meta stock on time frames from one minute to one month.
It tracks a selection of key technical indicators on live market data, including moving averages, relative strength index (RSI), oscillators, and momentum.
This indicator should be used when you research Meta to help you decide whether to buy Facebook shares. Past performance is no guarantee of future results. It is not investment advice or a recommendation from Invezz to buy this stock.
Is Meta a good investment for me?
The right answer is different for each person, so here is some information to help you decide whether to buy stocks in Meta.
- In 2021, Facebook rebranded and changed its name to Meta. This change reflects the company’s transformation into a holding company, much like Alphabet became Google’s parent company in 2015. Despite the change in identity, Facebook will continue to operate its social network and other businesses under the same names.
- Facebook (META) owns several brands. Meta owns several well-known technology companies, including familiar social media platforms like Facebook, the popular instant messaging app Whatsapp, and the photo-sharing platform, Instagram. These acquisitions have helped Meta’s growth and dominance over other technology companies in recent years.
- Meta has nearly 3 billion monthly users. Meta has grown into one of the most well-known brands globally, with 2.9 billion monthly active users across all its platforms. With an average revenue of $10 per user, Meta is well-positioned to continue its growth.
- Meta has made a big bet on virtual reality. Zuckerberg has invested heavily in Reality Labs, which is the VR business segment, with the aim of creating a “metaverse” and being at the forefront of the next frontier of social media. In the future, Facebook stock may well rise and fall with the success of Reality Labs.
- Controversy has surrounded Meta for many years. Despite its popularity, Facebook has faced criticism for putting profits before people. This criticism peaked in 2021 when a former employee leaked tens of thousands of documents and gave a scathing testimony to US senators about Facebook’s attitude to internet content, resulting in a significant drop in the Facebook stock price.
- Regulation and political pressure may cause Meta problems. Despite its success, Meta has faced political pressure from the EU and US, who have taken steps towards increased regulation of big tech. The company is facing anti-trust lawsuits in the EU and US, as well as lawsuits in the US over its ownership of Instagram and Whatsapp.
It’s always a good idea to think about any potential risks there might be as well. Use this summary of Meta’s pros and cons before you make a final decision on whether to buy Facebook stock.
- Meta owns several of the worlds leading social networking brands
- It has nearly 3 billion monthly users
- It’s one of the largest advertisers in the world
- Facebook (META) is betting big on virtual reality with Reality Labs
Are there other ways to buy shares in Meta?
Yes, you can invest in Facebook stock in a few different ways. One option is to buy stock in Meta directly through an investment platform as laid out above, while another popular choice is to invest in a fund.
Mutual funds provide instant diversification to your investment portfolio by investing in lots of companies at once. You can invest in a Nasdaq index fund to get exposure to Meta, or choose a metaverse ETF.
Another option is to use a social copy trading platform, like eToro . Find a trader who you like and copy their Meta trades directly to your own account.
This can be a good investment strategy for beginners and a way to learn how to buy Meta shares from someone with more experience.
What are the fees for investing in Meta stock?
It depends on the stock broker. Some platforms charge a flat fee per trade, others charge a commission as a percentage of the total trade value each time you buy Facebook stocks.
Consider that there may be other costs to trading too. Other fees can include deposit and withdrawal fees, or inactivity fees if you don’t use your account for three months or more.
These are the trading platforms that charge the lowest fees for buying stocks in Meta.
|Trading platform||Trading fees|
|Degiro||$0 (US) / £1.75 (UK)|
How to sell Meta stock
When you decide the time is right to sell and lock in some profit (or cut your losses), log into your broker account and navigate to your portfolio.
From there, find your Meta stock and you’ll see a ‘sell’ option next to it. Click that to set the details of the trade (you don’t have to sell all your stocks at once) and sell back to cash.
Should I buy Facebook stock now?
It’s your investing goals and style that define whether now is a good time to buy. The current Meta stock price plays into it but ultimately it depends on your investment horizons.
- If you’re a short term trader: the goal is to make money by buying and selling stocks regularly to secure a profit or avoid a loss. That can mean trading hourly, daily, or weekly but the focus is always on the near future. Traders learn how to buy stocks in Meta based on short term technical analysis and don’t hold shares for a long time, so any time can be a good time to buy META.
- If you’re a long term investor: you’re more interested in long term price appreciation than whether a stock is up or down on any given day. The important thing is finding a stock with a strong foundation where you think the share price will be up over a period of months or years. If you think Meta’s fundamentals are solid then the best time to invest in Meta stock is after a dip or a pullback in price.
Most new traders sit somewhere between these two positions. You don’t want to actively trade Meta stock all hours of the day but you don’t want to wait years for a return either.
Either way, following META price news and analysis will help you decide when to dip your toe into the market.
Latest Meta news
EU regulator slaps Meta Platforms with highest-ever fine
Meta stock price forecast: Mark Mahaney sees another 45% upside
Meta shares up 12% on Q1 earnings: is there upside left in this stock?
Will there be a recession? Forecasts shift as banking turmoil subsides but inflation rages on
Pro says buy Meta stock after it lowered price of its VR headsets
There is no perfect way to value a stock. You can use financial metrics like the P/E ratio to compare share prices among Meta and its competitors, where a higher ratio indicates that a stock is more expensive. But lots of different factors play into Meta share price and the ‘right’ valuation is often a matter of opinion.
It depends on where you live but you do normally have to pay capital gains tax any time you make money from investing in Meta.
Capital gains tax is often charged at 10-15% of your profit but there are ways to limit the amount you have to pay, by using tax-friendly stock market investment vehicles and writing off losses.
Speak to an accountant or a tax professional and check the tax laws where you live to find out more.
Facebook’s ticker symbol is NASDAQ:META. A ticker symbol, or stock code, is a publicly traded company’s unique identifier so that you can find them on stock exchanges.
No, Meta does not pay a cash dividend.
Meta is a medium-ranked business for ESG issues. It scores well for certain criteria but poorly for others. Here’s a selection of its ESG scores from the biggest rating agencies.
S&P Global: 25/100
Sustain Analytics: 42.2/100
Generally, with rating agencies, the lower the score, the better.
Meta is the parent company, while Facebook is one of the technology companies under its umbrella.
Meta used to be known as Facebook but the holding company rebranded in 2021. The two names are used interchangeably, but when you buy Facebook stock you are investing in everything owned by Meta, not just the social media platform.
The rebrand to ‘Meta’ reflects a change in priorities for the company. Meta is a reference to the metaverse, a virtual reality space that it believes is the future of online interaction.
Yes, if you buy stock in Meta you are investing in Facebook. Facebook simply changed its name to Meta, so buying Meta stock is just the same as when you used to buy Facebook stock.
More stocks to buy
Invezz is a place where people can find reliable, unbiased information about finance, trading, and investing – but we do not offer financial advice and users should always carry out their own research. The assets covered on this website, including stocks, cryptocurrencies, and commodities can be highly volatile and new investors often lose money. Success in the financial markets is not guaranteed, and users should never invest more than they can afford to lose. You should consider your own personal circumstances and take the time to explore all your options before making any investment. Read our risk disclaimer >