Invezz is an independent platform with the goal of helping users achieve financial freedom. In order to fund our work, we partner with advertisers who compensate us for users that Invezz refers to their services. While our reviews and assessments of each product on the site are independent and unbiased, brands may pay to appear higher up our table rankings or place ads in specific areas of the site. The order in which products and services appear on Invezz does not represent an endorsement from us, and please be aware that there may be other platforms available to you than the products and services that appear on our website. Read more about how we make money >
Where to buy Meta stock
If you already have the information you need and are ready to buy, you can use one of the well regarded brokers below. If you’re not ready to buy just yet, keep reading for more information on Meta stock.
How to buy Meta stock, a step-by-step guide
- Find a broker. To invest you need an account with an online broker. Each platform has its own unique features but as a rule it’s best to prioritise the broker with the lowest fees.
- Decide how much to invest. Spread your portfolio out over a few different investments. That way, there’s less risk of the failure of one affecting your entire portfolio.
- Research Meta and its potential. Read the company’s annual reports to compare its performance and potential against its competitors. This way you can gain a good idea of what makes a successful company.
- Place an order for FB stock. Search for Meta using its ticker symbol, which is FB at the moment but will change to MVRS in the future. Enter how many shares you want to buy.
- Execute your order. Review the details of the trade and execute it as soon as you’re happy. The order might take some time to go through, particularly if you place it over the weekend. Once it does, you can see the details of your new shares in your broker account.
- Review your investment regularly. Check in on your shares regularly so that you can decide when to sell or when to buy more. Meta releases earnings updates every quarter, which can be a good time to check in.
Should I invest in Meta?
Investing in Meta could make a good addition to your portfolio, but there are a few things to consider first. If you have been a fan of Facebook, and believe the monumental growth it has seen in the past will continue, then you could consider purchasing shares in Meta. However, it has had its fair share of controversies which may hold some investors back.
The company announced at its annual conference in 2021 it was making a change to its identity, by changing its name to Meta. Similarly to when Alphabet became the parent company of Google in 2015, Meta is a holding company. It will continue running its social network and other business under the same names.
Founded in 2004 by Mark Zuckerberg, it started off as a small social network for college students at Harvard. Fast forward nearly 20 years, the company has grown into one of the best known brands in the world with 2.9 billion active monthly users across all it’s platforms. Big acquisitions, including Instagram and Whatsapp, have helped its growth in generating an average revenue of $10 per user.
How has the company performed in recent years?
It has performed well since its IPO in 2012, and that’s despite many difficult periods, involving privacy issues, misinformation and fake news to name a few. One its first day of trading you could buy shares in the company for just $38, today those same shares cost over $300, an increase of over 700%.
It has made headlines frequently, often for the wrong reasons. In 2021 a former employee leaked tens of thousands of documents and gave a scathing testimony to US senators, claiming the company put profits before people. Its share price reacted negatively, dropping slightly from it’s all time high price.
However, even with that dip in price, 2021 saw its upwards trajectory continue from previous years. Covid played a strong role in recent growth as lockdowns pushed more users to its social networking apps. Its price more than doubled in the 18 months after the pandemic.
Is it a good time to buy Meta shares now?
If you believe in its future potential, then buying shares in Meta could be a good decision, but you may want to take into consideration the bad press it sometimes receives. Moving forward, it has a lot in the pipeline, most notably its augmented reality and virtual reality products.
It has plans to spend billions while transforming itself into a ‘metaverse’ company over the next decade. Meta has already started this change, and recently started selling Ray-Ban smart glasses in partnership with EssilorLuxottica. The company believes the metaverse platform will be the successor to mobile internet.
Meta has many plans in the pipeline, and operates in a fast moving space, in many different markets. The potential for continued success is high as it dominates the sectors it is in. The tech industry changes quickly and so can Metas stock. That’s why its important to keep up with the latest developments and news, which you can do so by clicking on any of the links below.
Ways to invest in Meta
- Buy Meta shares. The best way to invest if you want to have control over your portfolio. Owning shares gives you the right to vote on the future of the company and to receive dividend payments (if the company decides to pay them).
- Invest in Meta ETFs. An ETF is an exchange-traded fund, which means it can be bought or sold on a stock exchange. ETFs own shares in companies from the same index, industry or sector. Look for a tech ETF, metaverse ETF, or NASDAQ ETF to find funds that own Meta.
- Invest in funds and trusts. Funds are financial instruments that are run by investment professionals. The fund manager chooses which stocks to buy and sell in order to generate the best returns for everyone who has a stake in the fund.
- Trade Meta. Trading stocks is a short term approach that relies less on the fundamental strength of a company. Traders study price charts to identify patterns and use those patterns to predict how the stock might move in the future.
- Spread betting. Spread betting is another short term approach. You bet on which way a stock is going to move and earn (or lose) money based on your stake multiplied by the points of movement.
Latest Meta news
Stock trading courses
How to Choose Winning Stocks
How to Invest in the Stock Market
Long-term Stock Investing
Short-term Stock Trading
Invezz is a place where people can find reliable, unbiased information about finance, trading, and investing – but we do not offer financial advice and users should always carry out their own research. The assets covered on this website, including stocks, cryptocurrencies, and commodities can be highly volatile and new investors often lose money. Success in the financial markets is not guaranteed, and users should never invest more than they can afford to lose. You should consider your own personal circumstances and take the time to explore all your options before making any investment. Read our risk disclaimer >