In page navigation
- 1. How to buy Moderna (MRNA) stock
- 2. Where to buy Moderna stock?
- 3. How to buy stock in Moderna in 3 simple steps
- 4. Compare the best platforms to buy Moderna stock
- 5. Fundamental analysis of Moderna shares
- 6. Is Moderna a good investment for me?
- 7. How to sell Moderna stock
- 8. Should I buy Moderna stock now?
- 9. FAQs
How to buy Moderna (MRNA) stock
Get started in minutes with our preferred broker,. 10/10
77% of retail CFD accounts lose money.
A big part of learning how to buy Moderna stocks is finding the best place to make your investment. Moderna stocks are available to invest in through an online stock broker, and it usually takes just a few minutes to buy shares in Moderna when following our step by step guide.
Where to buy Moderna stock?
The best stock trading platform to use to buy Moderna stock is eToro .
Based on our research, we’ve ranked the top three brokers where you can buy Moderna shares, according to how easy they are to use, how low their fees are, their safety and security rating, and average customer reviews.
77% of retail CFD accounts lose money.
Read more about how we test, rank & review platforms.
How to buy stock in Moderna in 3 simple steps
Buying Moderna stock is quick and easy, all you need is an internet connection and a copy of your photo ID. Here’s how to do it.
Step 1. Sign up to eToro
eToro is the best stock trading platform for beginners. Fill in your details to set up a brokerage account and attach a copy of your ID to verify it.
77% of retail CFD accounts lose money.
Step 2. Make a deposit
Transfer money to your new account with your credit or debit card, a bank transfer, or an alternative payment method, like PayPal. The minimum deposit is £10.
Step 3. Buy Moderna shares
Search for Moderna using the ticker, MRNA. Click the ‘trade’ button and enter the details of your investment, such as how many shares you want to buy or how much you want to spend. Hit ‘trade now’ to invest in Moderna and complete your purchase.
It’s as easy as that! You can buy Moderna shares in just 10-15 minutes and now you’re a Moderna shareholder.
Compare the best platforms to buy Moderna stock
1. eToro. Best for beginners, copy-trading & demo-account
Pros & Cons
We love eToro because you can trade more than 3,000 stocks, commission free. When you buy stocks on eToro, you’re buying the underlying asset, which means you can earn dividends. Or you can trade fractional shares, which means you can invest in even the most expensive stock from just $10.
As well as being a broker that offers lots of investor protection, eToro offers a very social trading experience. You can easily see what’s trending on the stock market every day, browse the latest analyst opinion about every one of those stocks, and copy other people’s trade suggestions from your desktop or the eToro app.
The fees: Stock and ETF trades are commission free. Stock CFDs are charged a 0.15% spread and overnight fees can apply. You can deposit money for free but you have to pay $5 per withdrawal, and there’s a minimum withdrawal of $30. A $10 per month activity fee is charged if you don’t log in for a year.
77% of retail CFD accounts lose money.
Fundamental analysis of Moderna shares
What is Moderna’s total worth?
Moderna’s total net worth is $64.01 billion. This is its total market capitalisation, calculated by multiplying the number of shares outstanding on a stock exchange by the current share price.
How has Moderna’s share price performed in recent years?
The current Moderna stock price today is $166.60, which is 66.52% below its all time high of $497.49, which it reached on 10 August, 2021.
Overall, MRNA is up 809% over the last five years. The MRNA share price is down 6.45% in 2023 with a 52 week high of $217.15 and a 52 week low of $115.03.
What is Moderna’s EPS?
Moderna’s EPS is $26.08. EPS stands for earnings per share and is calculated by dividing Moderna’s net profit by the number of shares outstanding. It gives you an idea of how valuable a company is.
What is the Moderna P/E ratio?
Moderna’s P/E ratio is 6.39. The P/E, or price to earnings ratio, tells you how much you would have to pay per share for $1 of Moderna’s earnings.
It is calculated by dividing the share price by the earnings per share. You can use Moderna’s earnings estimates to predict its future (or forward) P/E and set a target price you think the stock can reach.
What is Moderna’s dividend yield?
Moderna’s dividend yield is 0%. The dividend yield tells you how much of Moderna’s share price it gives back to shareholders in dividend payments every year. Moderna does not pay a dividend.
Is Moderna stock a buy or sell?
The indicator below shows you live technical ratings for Moderna stock on time frames from one minute to one month.
It tracks a selection of key technical indicators on live market data, including moving averages, relative strength index (RSI), oscillators, and momentum.
This indicator should be used when you research Moderna to help you decide whether to buy Moderna shares. Past performance is no guarantee of future results. It is not investment advice or a recommendation from Invezz to buy this stock.
Is Moderna a good investment for me?
The right answer is different for each person, so here is some information to help you decide whether to buy stocks in Moderna.
- Moderna’s IPO was the largest biotech public offering. Moderia was listed on the stock exchange via an IPO in 2018. It raised $621 million, making it the largest biotech public offering in history.
- It is best known for its Covid vaccine. Before the pandemic, Moderna was not a household name. That all changed when it developed its coronavirus vaccine in 2020, using mRNA – a sequence of genetic code that instructs the body to cure itself.
- Moderna may be more than a covid stock. While best known for its vaccine, Modera’s business is large, and the company invests in various research areas with plans to scale as quickly as possible.
- It has very few approved treatments beyond the Covid-19 jab. Despite investing heavily in other areas, its covid jab remains its flagship product, and the company has few other approved treatments. This could make it a fragile investment, especially with so many competitors moving faster.
- Covid helped its share price drastically move higher. Moderna’s share price was flat for a couple of years before exploding in 2020, up over 700% from the start of the year.
- Moderna operates in a crowded market. Moderna operates in a more isolated way than many big pharma competitors, and there are a number of other coronavirus vaccines in development or production that make it a crowded marketplace.
It’s always a good idea to think about any potential risks there might be as well. Use this summary of Moderna’s pros and cons before you decide whether to buy Moderna stock.
- It is one of the few biotech companies to develop an approved covid vaccine
- Its share price has rocketed in recent years
- It is investing heavily into other treatments
Are there other ways to buy shares in Moderna?
Yes, you can invest in Moderna stock in a few different ways. One option is to buy stock in Moderna directly through an investment platform as laid out above, while another popular choice is to invest in a fund.
Mutual funds provide instant diversification to your investment portfolio by investing in lots of companies at once. You can invest in a Nasdaq index fund to get exposure to Moderna, or choose a pharma ETF.
Another option is to use a social copy trading platform, like eToro . Find a trader who you like and copy their Moderna trades directly to your own account.
This can be a good investment strategy for beginners and a way to learn how to buy Moderna shares from someone with more experience.
What are the fees for investing in Moderna stock?
It depends on the stock broker. Some platforms charge a flat fee per trade, others charge a commission as a percentage of the total trade value each time you buy Moderna stocks.
Consider that there may be other costs to trading too. Other fees can include deposit and withdrawal fees, or inactivity fees if you don’t use your account for three months or more.
These are the trading platforms that charge the lowest fees for buying stocks in Moderna.
|Trading platform||Trading fees|
|Degiro||$0 (US) / £1.75 (UK)|
How to sell Moderna stock
When you decide the time is right to sell and lock in some profit (or cut your losses), log into your broker account and navigate to your portfolio.
From there, find your Moderna stock and you’ll see a ‘sell’ option next to it. Click that to set the details of the trade (you don’t have to sell all your stocks at once) and sell back to cash.
Should I buy Moderna stock now?
It’s your investing goals and style that define whether now is a good time to buy. The current Moderna stock price plays into it but ultimately it depends on your investment horizons.
- If you’re a short term trader: the goal is to make money by buying and selling stocks regularly to secure a profit or avoid a loss. That can mean trading hourly, daily, or weekly but the focus is always on the near future. Traders learn how to buy stocks in Moderna based on short term technical analysis and don’t hold shares for a long time, so any time can be a good time to buy MRNA.
- If you’re a long term investor: you’re more interested in long term price appreciation than whether a stock is up or down on any given day. The important thing is finding a stock with a strong foundation where you think the share price will be up over a period of months or years. If you think Moderna’s fundamentals are solid then the best time to invest in Moderna stock is after a dip or a pullback in price.
Most new traders sit somewhere between these two positions. You don’t want to actively trade Moderna stock all hours of the day but you don’t want to wait years for a return either.
Either way, following MRNA price news and analysis will help you decide when to dip your toe into the market.
Latest Moderna news
Wall Street analysts are bullish on Moderna stock price: should you?
Moderna withholds declaring ‘early success’ for its Influenza vaccine
Tucker Carlson on Moderna stock: ‘wow, is that a scam’
What’s happening to Moderna shares on Wednesday?
Jefferies analyst reveals his top two biotech stocks for 2023
Moderna stock jumped 25% on a ‘big day for patients’
There is no perfect way to value a stock. You can use financial metrics like the P/E ratio to compare share prices among Moderna and its competitors, where a higher ratio indicates that a stock is more expensive. But lots of different factors play into Moderna’s share price and the ‘right’ valuation is often a matter of opinion.
It depends on where you live but you do normally have to pay capital gains tax any time you make money from investing in Moderna.
Capital gains tax is often charged at 10-15% of your profit but there are ways to limit the amount you have to pay, by using tax-friendly stock market investment vehicles and writing off losses.
Speak to an accountant or a tax professional and check the tax laws where you live to find out more.
Moderna’s ticker symbol is NASDAQ:MRNA. A ticker symbol, or stock code, is a publicly traded company’s unique identifier so that you can find them on stock exchanges.
No, Moderna does not pay a cash dividend.
According to SustainableHQ, Modera has mixed scores for its ESG profile. It has a strong commitment to governance, although its social and environmental scores are poor. Here are some of its scores from leading ESG rating companies.
Refinitiv: 59/100 – The higher the score, the better
S&P Global: 50/100 – The higher the score, the better
SustainAnalytics: 23/100 – The lower the score, the better
ISS: 10/10 – The lower the score, the better
More stocks to buy
Invezz is a place where people can find reliable, unbiased information about finance, trading, and investing – but we do not offer financial advice and users should always carry out their own research. The assets covered on this website, including stocks, cryptocurrencies, and commodities can be highly volatile and new investors often lose money. Success in the financial markets is not guaranteed, and users should never invest more than they can afford to lose. You should consider your own personal circumstances and take the time to explore all your options before making any investment. Read our risk disclaimer >