How to buy Moderna shares
This guide gives you all the information you need to know in order to invest in Moderna shares. We go through a brief history of Moderna, the latest Moderna news and market performance, and the best online brokers with which to invest in Moderna.
Compare the best platforms to invest in Moderna shares
If you have all the information you need and just want to invest, you can buy Moderna shares immediately by visiting one of our trusted brokers below. We’ve assessed all the best brokers and compared them so that picking the right choice for you is quick and easy.
If you’re not ready to invest yet, keep reading for more information on Moderna.
How to buy Moderna shares, a step-by-step guide
The process of buying shares in Moderna isn’t massively complicated, so don’t worry even if you’re new to stock investing. These are the steps to follow in order to complete your investment:
- Choose a broker. In order to buy Moderna stock, you will need to use an online brokerage platform. There are many different options to choose from, each with their own unique benefits and drawbacks. The comparison table above can help you select the right broker for you, and you can head to our comprehensive broker reviews if you’re still unsure.
- Create an account. Once you’ve selected your broker, simply go to their website and create an account. The steps required for this will vary from platform to platform, but generally you can expect to have to provide your name, email address, phone number, and some form of photo identification.
- Deposit funds. Log into your broker account and select the option to deposit funds. Depending on your broker you’ll have a variety of payment options available; most brokers accept bank transfers and debit card payments, but not all accept e-wallets such as PayPal. Select your preferred payment method and deposit the amount of money you wish to invest in Moderna shares.
- Place an order for MRNA stock. Now navigate to the broker’s buying stocks page (a link to this can be found in the menu on the website). Here you’ll be able to search for Moderna’s ticker symbol (MRNA) and see the current price at which the stock is trading. If you’re happy with the price, enter the amount of shares you wish to buy and place your order.
- Execute your order. Once you have placed your order, your broker will automatically execute it for you and your Moderna shares will be listed in your account. Congratulations, you’ve just bought shares in Moderna! For more information about the stock market, check out our website.
What is Moderna? And should I invest?
Moderna (NASDAQ: MRNA) is a biotech company that focuses on research and development and vaccine technology. Moderna is a relatively new player in the pharmaceutical world; formed in 2010, it went public in 2018. At its IPO, Moderna raised $621m, making it the largest biotech public offering in history.
Moderna is unique in the way it has approached vaccine development, compared to its biotech and pharmaceutical rivals. Prior to 2020, it had never had a treatment approved. Instead of choosing one or two areas of research, it has raised huge amounts of money to invest in a range of different research areas with a plan to scale up as quickly as possible.
In 2020, it had its coronavirus vaccine approved by the US government, followed soon after by other governments around the world. The vaccine uses mRNA – a sequence of genetic code that can instruct the body on how to cure itself – which is the focus of all Moderna’s research but had not been used successfully in any treatment prior to COVID-19.
Both Moderna and Pfizer’s vaccine use mRNA, which could be a proof of concept for the whole area of research moving forward. However, investors should consider that Moderna might remain a risky investment until it is able to produce other vaccines. Particularly because of its lack of approved treatments beyond the COVID-19 jab and because its huge gains in 2020 could be fragile with so many other competitor treatments in development.
How has MRNA performed as an investment in recent years?
Moderna’s share price had been flat for a couple of years before exploding in 2020. After going public in 2018, Moderna remained around its IPO price of $23 before the pandemic hit. When its vaccine was approved by the US government in December, Moderna surged to $156, up over 700% from the start of the year.
Investors who bought into Moderna at the beginning knew they were likely to have to wait a while for the company to produce results. Although it traded below its IPO price for a while after 2018, its value remained very steady. The opportunities presented to vaccine research in 2020 are what jump-started the Moderna price rise.
Unlike many big pharma competitors, the fact it didn’t have anything on the market when the pandemic hit meant Moderna didn’t experience any drag on price due to a halt in treatments. Like every company in the industry, Moderna then dived into coronavirus research. After the positive results of its initial trial were announced in November 2020, its value doubled in a month.
Is it a good time to buy MRNA shares now?
Moderna is expensive following the coronavirus vaccine and you should decide whether you trust its underlying business model before investing. The COVID-19 vaccine could work as a ‘proof of concept’ for its unique approach to vaccine development. If it is able to follow up with other positive results, like with a personalised cancer vaccine, it would help validate the plan. Until that happens, Moderna is a riskier investment because its boost from the coronavirus could be short-lived and it can’t fall back on a history of good results.
It’s worth considering why else Moderna carries more risk than some of its competitors. Smaller biotech companies often partner with large pharma firms to develop vaccines, Moderna operates in a more isolated way. There are also a number of other coronavirus vaccines or in development or production that make it a crowded marketplace. Finally, its secretive nature could make its price extremely reactive to any news that does come out about treatments.
Relying on the coronavirus vaccine alone is risky, but Moderna has already offered opportunities for short term traders looking to use technical indicators to benefit from its 2020 price surge. Longer term, it’s important to consider the fundamentals, particularly the fact Moderna is a vaccine development company without much in the way of results, and to keep a close eye on the performance of its trials to see if it can build on its coronavirus success.
You can keep tabs on Moderna’s up-to-date stock price, as well as the latest news and market analysis using the links below.
Moderna shares remain in a bull market but the current price does not represent a good value for long-term investors
Moderna stock price soars to record highs as Covid-19 vaccine shows 94.5% efficacy
Buying, selling and trading Moderna shares for beginners
What to do before buying shares
You should always take the time to research a stock fully before investing your money, especially if you haven’t bought shares before. The more knowledge you have, the better your chances of making a wise investment.
With that in mind, here’s a checklist to run through before investing in Moderna shares.
- Research the company. You should always examine the fundamentals of a company before buying its stock. What is Moderna? How did the company get its start? How did it grow? Is Moderna’s revenue and profit growth picking up? Is the company innovating? The more you know about Moderna, the better positioned you’ll be to make smart investment decisions.
- Make sure you understand the basics of stock investing. Before starting to invest in stocks, make sure you have an understanding of how it works. This will ensure that you have more clearly defined goals and have thought through how you will achieve them.
- Decide between share dealing and CFD trading. Choose the type of investment strategy you want to pursue, and make sure you have carried out the necessary fundamental or technical analysis for share dealing and CFD trading respectively.
- Set the size of your budget. The golden rule of investing is never to risk more than you can afford to lose. Not every investment you make will result in a profit, so it is important to set a budget that not only allows good potential for capital growth, but also protects against overly damaging losses.
- Find the right broker. Individual brokers each have their own pros and cons. Some will have low fees but have a user interface you struggle to understand, whereas others may be a bit more expensive but come with a range of features that you want to take advantage of. Our in-depth broker reviews can help you find the right platform for you.
- Examine broader market conditions. No stock exists in a vacuum, and it’s always important to analyse the general trends of the stock market as a whole before investing. If a bear market is setting in and stock prices are falling, it’s best to wait it out and invest your money later when the stock is cheaper. If, however, the market is looking bearish, you’ll want to make your investment quickly to get the maximum benefit from rising stock prices. The news section of the Invezz website can help you keep on top of movements in the financial markets.
What is the difference between buying, selling, and trading shares?
If you’re new to stock investing, then it’s important to understand the basics of how to buy, sell, and trade Moderna shares. Here’s a quick run-through of what’s involved in each.
Buying Moderna shares
This process involves finding a broker and placing an order to buy Moderna stock, as outlined in the steps further up this page. Ideally you want to time your investment when the stock’s price is low so that you can profit by selling the shares after they increase in value.
Selling Moderna shares
When you sell any Moderna shares you have bought, you’ll want to do so at a higher price than the one at which you bought to earn a profit.
When you sell is up to you. You might decide to hold for an extended length of time, hoping to benefit from the company growing steadily throughout. Or, if you see that Moderna’s stock is already up a lot compared to the price you bought it and you’ve noticed that the stock market is starting to fall, it might make sense to sell and take your profits to invest elsewhere. Equally, if the stock has fallen since you bought it and looks set to fall further, it might be a good idea to cut your losses by selling your shares.
Trading Moderna shares
Trading is the same process as buying and selling shares, it’s just done over shorter periods of time with the aim to make small profits on a regular basis. This means that you can make money faster and spend your profits in your day-to-day life – however, on the other side it means you can lose money faster as well. For inexperienced investors, we generally recommend making investments for at least 6 months to a year instead of making trades in quick succession.
You can trade Moderna shares through buying and selling shares, or by trading with CFDs. These allow investors to speculate on stock prices and trade with leverage in pursuit of bigger gains. CFDs trading is explained further in the next section, but it is worth noting that beginners should avoid trading with leverage. It comes with large risks and is best left to experienced investors.
Ways to buy Moderna shares: share dealing and CFD trading
When it comes to investing in any stock, the two options you have are share dealing and trading. Which one of these methods to opt for largely depends on your investment timeline, with investors thinking long term tending to go for share dealing, and those looking for shorter-term gains pursuing a more aggressive trading strategy.
Here’s a quick summary of the two approaches, and the pros and cons of each.
Share dealing refers to the practice of buying and holding shares in a particular company over the long term. When investing like this, you’re seeking to profit either from dividend payments or an increase in the stock’s price over time.
When investing your money this way, it is important to do thorough fundamental analysis of the company in which you are investing. You want to put your money in a stock you believe will trend upwards over time, even if there is some market volatility along the way, rather than get distracted by shorter term peaks and troughs.
- Can build wealth over time to achieve financial goals
- Don’t need to be very reactive to short-term market movements
- Some stocks will give you an income through regular dividend payments.
- Takes a long time to realise any profits
- Your capital is tied up in stocks and cannot be used for other investments
If your aim is to generate profits in the short term, then you might be better off trading shares than holding them in your portfolio. Stock trades like this are executed using CFDs (contracts for difference), which allow investors to trade against the value of a stock without having to take ownership of it. When CFD trading, investors are looking to buy and sell stocks fast to profit from short-term fluctuations in value.
One aspect of CFD trading that many investors find attractive is that they allow you to trade with leverage. This means you can place large trades while only putting up a fraction of the value yourself – for instance, if a platform offered leverage of 1:10, you could put £10 into MRNA shares and be able to trade £100 worth. This can maximise profits if the market moves in your favour, but be careful as it can also lead to heavy losses.
When trading using CFDs, it is key to be skilled at technical analysis and reading stock price charts. As you’re trading stocks quickly and frequently, the fundamental strength of the company in which you’re investing isn’t as important as being able to predict how its stock price will rise and fall minute-by-minute.
- Can generate fast profits if you read the market right
- Some platforms allow you to trade with leverage
- Prevents your capital being tied up so you can take advantage of investment opportunities
- Trading with leverage is risky and can lead to big losses
- Doesn’t necessarily generate growth over the long term
Consider which approach suits you best and craft an investment strategy that works for you. If you need more information, then simply take our beginner’s trading course and read our detailed guide to CFD trading to get you up to speed.
If neither of these options appeal to you, then you can find a variety of other ways to invest in MRNA stock on this page. If, however, you’re ready to buy Moderna shares now, simply select one of the brokers in the table above and get started.
How to choose a broker
With the wide variety of online brokers available these days, it can be hard to figure out which is the best service to go with. Our comparison table and in-depth reviews can help you cut through the noise, but by and large these are the aspects you should be considering when selecting a broker:
- Range of stocks available. The most important thing is that you can actually use the broker to buy the shares you’re looking for. Some brokers offer more stocks than others, and many will allow you to trade other assets, such as forex and commodities.
- Fees and commissions. You want to keep as large a chunk of your profits as you can, so it’s important to make sure your broker doesn’t charge high fees that can eat into your profits.
- Regulation. You should only use regulated brokers to place trades and buy shares. Unregulated brokers can be risky and offer little to no protection if the business were to fail while you had funds in your account.
- Payment methods available. You might want to buy Moderna shares using a specific payment method, such as PayPal. Not all brokers accept every payment method, but using our comparisons you can search only the brokers that support the option you’re looking for.
- Reputation. One of the strongest indicators of a broker’s reliability is the reputation it has with the customers who have used it. Brokers are online businesses, and as such many user experiences can be found online. You can check these out in addition to our reviews to make sure you choose the right platform.
- Customer service. As you’re going to be investing your money using the platform, you want to check that the broker offers good customer service in case you have a query or something goes wrong.
Latest Moderna news
What to make of Pfizer, Moderna insiders dumping stock?
UK’s MHRA approves Moderna’s COVID-19 vaccine for emergency use
Moderna says its COVID-19 vaccine is effective in over 94% of the cases
Stock trading courses
Long-term Stock Investing
Short-term Stock Trading
- 1. How to buy Moderna shares
- 2. Compare the best platforms to invest in Moderna shares
- 3. How to buy Moderna shares, a step-by-step guide
- 4. What is Moderna? And should I invest?
- 5. Buying, selling and trading Moderna shares for beginners
- 6. Ways to buy Moderna shares: share dealing and CFD trading
- 7. How to choose a broker