Invezz is an independent platform with the goal of helping users achieve financial freedom. In order to fund our work, we partner with advertisers who compensate us for users that Invezz refers to their services. While our reviews and assessments of each product on the site are independent and unbiased, brands may pay to appear higher up our table rankings or place ads in specific areas of the site. The order in which products and services appear on Invezz does not represent an endorsement from us, and please be aware that there may be other platforms available to you than the products and services that appear on our website. Read more about how we make money >
Ways to invest in Netflix
The most direct way to invest in Netflix through an online broker. You can choose a platform based on our reviews and get signed up within a few minutes. Then you can trade shares quickly or hold onto them for a long time.
There are other ways to invest as well, depending on your goals and how much control you want to have over your portfolio. You can let other people manage your stocks for you in a fund, or use contracts for difference instead of owning any shares yourself. The links below direct you to pages that explain the different approaches in more detail.
What is Netflix?
Netflix is a digital content producer and provider, streaming movies and shows to viewers in 190 countries. The company has grown from a DVD rental by mail upstart to a global entertainment giant with nearly 200 million paid subscribers.
You can learn more and build a strategy that produces returns over the long term by reading our guide to stock investing. In it, you’ll learn the basics about how to pick stocks and the different metrics you can use to try to choose ones that increase in value.
How to invest in Netflix
Below is a list of the different methods of investment you can utilise. Read through them all to get a feel for the options available to you and then follow the links to learn about each in more detail.
- Stockbrokers. Buying Netflix shares through an online broker is a fast, easy, and affordable way to invest. You can use our analysis of the best brokers to help you choose one and it’s a good idea to find a platform that suits your investment style. If you plan on making a lot of trades, pick a broker that charges low fees otherwise it can get very expensive.
- Mutual funds. A mutual fund is an investment strategy that pools your money together with other investors’ capital. A mutual fund manager then uses that money to build a diversified portfolio that’s often guided by a single investment approach, such as investing in growth or value stocks.Finding a mutual fund that holds Netflix shares means you can still benefit from the company’s growth without putting all your eggs in one basket.
- ETFs. An ETF is an exchange-traded fund, a simple investment method that also lets you hold many different stocks at once. As an ETF tracks the performance of a market or industry, you can find ones that hold all the leading technology stocks, for example. Netflix would be part of that ETF, and it would be included in one that tracks the NASDAQ stock exchange as well. As with a mutual fund, investing in an ETF lets you limit risk by diversifying your investment.
- CFDs. A CFD (contract for difference) is an agreement between a buyer and a seller in which the buyer pays the seller the difference between the current value of an asset and the asset’s value on the date specified in the contract. A CFD lets you benefit when the price of Netflix shares rises or falls without requiring you to own physical shares. A CFD also allows you to trade with leverage, which is when you borrow money from a broker to try to increase the size of your gains. Note that trading with leverage is a high-risk that can leave you vulnerable to bigger losses.
- Trusts. An investment trust is a pooled, closed-end investment method that’s available in the UK. Investors can trade a trust on a stock exchange, just as they would any publicly traded company. A trust allows you to benefit from price gains for Netflix’s stock by owning shares within the trust.
- ISAs. An ISA (Individual Savings Account) is a tax-free savings account for UK residents that lets you set aside part of your income for investments. The limit for ISA contributions in the current tax year is £20,000. Any investor with a long term focus should use an ISA, as it protects your gains from being taxed.
Where can I buy Netflix shares now?
Recent Netflix news
Latest Netflix price analysis
Fact-checking & references
Our editors fact-check all content to ensure compliance with our strict editorial policy. The information in this article is supported by the following reliable sources.
Invezz is a place where people can find reliable, unbiased information about finance, trading, and investing – but we do not offer financial advice and users should always carry out their own research. The assets covered on this website, including stocks, cryptocurrencies, and commodities can be highly volatile and new investors often lose money. Success in the financial markets is not guaranteed, and users should never invest more than they can afford to lose. You should consider your own personal circumstances and take the time to explore all your options before making any investment. Read our risk disclaimer >