In page navigation
How to buy Nike (NKE) stock
Get started in minutes with our preferred broker,. 10/10
79% of retail CFD accounts lose money
A big part of learning how to buy Nike stocks is finding the best place to make your investment. Nike stocks are available to invest in through an online stock broker, and it usually takes just a few minutes to buy shares in Nike when following our step by step guide.
Where to buy Nike stock?
The best stock trading platform to use to buy Nike stock is eToro .
Based on our research, we’ve ranked the top three brokers where you can buy Nike shares, according to how easy they are to use, how low their fees are, their safety and security rating, and average customer reviews.
Read more about how we test, rank & review platforms.
How to buy stock in Nike in 3 simple steps
Buying Nike stock is quick and easy, all you need is an internet connection and a copy of your photo ID. Here’s how to do it.
Step 1. Sign up to eToro
eToro is the best stock trading platform for beginners. Fill in your details to set up a brokerage account and attach a copy of your ID to verify it.
Step 2. Make a deposit
Transfer money to your new account with your credit or debit card, a bank transfer, or an alternative payment method, like PayPal. The minimum deposit is £10.
Step 3. Buy Nike shares
Search for Nike using the ticker, NKE. Click the ‘trade’ button and enter the details of your investment, such as how many shares you want to buy or how much you want to spend. Hit ‘trade now’ to invest in Nike and complete your purchase.
It’s as easy as that! You can buy Nike shares in just 10-15 minutes and now you’re a Nike shareholder
Compare the best platforms to buy Nike stock
1. eToro. Best for beginners, copy-trading & demo-account
Pros & Cons
We love eToro because you can trade more than 3,000 stocks, commission free. When you buy stocks on eToro, you’re buying the underlying asset, which means you can earn dividends. Or you can trade fractional shares, which means you can invest in even the most expensive stock from just $10.
As well as being a broker that offers lots of investor protection, eToro offers a very social trading experience. You can easily see what’s trending on the stock market every day, browse the latest analyst opinion about every one of those stocks, and copy other people’s trade suggestions from your desktop or the eToro app.
The fees: Stock and ETF trades are commission free. Stock CFDs are charged a 0.15% spread and overnight fees can apply. You can deposit money for free but you have to pay $5 per withdrawal, and there’s a minimum withdrawal of $30. A $10 per month activity fee is charged if you don’t log in for a year.
Fundamental analysis of Nike shares
What is Nike’s total worth?
Nike’s total net worth is $193.57 billion. This is its total market capitalisation, calculated by multiplying the number of shares outstanding on a stock exchange by the current share price.
How has Nike’s share price performed in recent years?
The current Nike stock price today is $124.84, which is 30.29% below its all time high of $179.10, which it reached on 01 November, 2021.
Overall, NKE is up 94.75% over the last five years. The NKE share price is up 7.58% in 2023 with a 52 week high of $141.64 and a 52 week low of $82.22.
What is Nike’s EPS?
Nike’s EPS is $3.54. EPS stands for earnings per share and is calculated by dividing Nike’s net profit by the number of shares outstanding. It gives you an idea of how valuable a company is.
What is the Nike P/E ratio?
Nike’s P/E ratio is 35.27. The P/E, or price to earnings ratio, tells you how much you would have to pay per share for $1 of Nike’s earnings.
It is calculated by dividing the share price by the earnings per share. You can use Nike’s earnings estimates to predict its future (or forward) P/E and set a target price you think the stock can reach.
What is Nike’s dividend yield?
Nike’s dividend yield is 1.09%. The dividend yield tells you how much of Nike’s share price it gives back to shareholders in dividend payments every year.
Is Nike stock a buy or sell?
The indicator below shows you live technical ratings for Nike stock on time frames from one minute to one month.
It tracks a selection of key technical indicators on live market data, including moving averages, relative strength index (RSI), oscillators, and momentum.
This indicator should be used when you research Nike to help you decide whether to buy Nike shares. Past performance is no guarantee of future results. It is not investment advice or a recommendation from Invezz to buy this stock.
Is Nike a good investment for me?
The right answer is different for each person, so here is some information to help you decide whether to buy stocks in Nike.
- Nike is the largest athletic shoe and apparel company in the world. Nike is a globally renowned brand and the largest manufacturer of athletic shoes and apparel. It has a market capitalisation of nearly $200 billion and sells its products in over 190 countries.
- It has partnerships with leading sports teams and athletes. Nike partners with some of the world’s largest sporting teams and with high-profile athletes such as Michael Jordan and Tiger woods. It spends billions of dollars on marketing yearly to maintain its brand dominance.
- It is moving to a direct sales model. Nike is transitioning towards a model where it sells directly to consumers through its website, app, and retail stores, allowing for more control over distribution and higher profit margins.
- It is reducing the number of items it sells. Nike is focusing on streamlining its product offerings by reducing the number of goods it sells. Nike aims to reduce inventory costs and better match supply with demand.
- NKE stock is a strong performer. Between 2018 and the start of 2021, Nike’s value doubled, even when the covid outbreak forced the closure of its stores. Its growth was driven by its strong digital sales.
- It has plans to double its direct-to-consumer segment. Nike wants to make digital sales 50% of its revenue and double its direct-to-consumer sales. The company plans to achieve this goal by investing in digital marketing and expanding its online and mobile app offerings.
- One of its biggest markets is China. It has a strong presence in China, which offers plenty of opportunities for direct sales; however, geopolitics between the US and China has caused it some problems in the past.
It’s always a good idea to think about any potential risks there might be as well. Use this summary of Nike’s pros and cons before you make a final decision on whether to buy Nike stock.
- It is a globally renowned sports brand
- Nike has partnershisp with many teams and athletes
- It is focusing on direct to consumer sales
- Nike spends billions of dollars per year on marketing
Are there other ways to buy shares in Nike?
Yes, you can invest in Nike stock in a few different ways. One option is to buy stock in Nike directly through an investment platform as laid out above, while another popular choice is to invest in a fund.
Mutual funds provide instant diversification to your investment portfolio by investing in lots of companies at once. You can invest in a NYSE index fund to get exposure to Nike, or choose a blue chip ETF.
Another option is to use a social copy trading platform, like eToro . Find a trader who you like and copy their Nike trades directly to your own account.
This can be a good investment strategy for beginners and a way to learn how to buy Nike shares from someone with more experience.
What are the fees for investing in Nike stock?
It depends on the stock broker. Some platforms charge a flat fee per trade, others charge a commission as a percentage of the total trade value each time you buy Nike stocks.
Consider that there may be other costs to trading too. Other fees can include deposit and withdrawal fees, or inactivity fees if you don’t use your account for three months or more.
These are the trading platforms that charge the lowest fees for buying stocks in Nike.
|Trading platform||Trading fees|
|Degiro||$0 (US) / £1.75 (UK)|
How to sell Nike stock
When you decide the time is right to sell and lock in some profit (or cut your losses), log into your broker account and navigate to your portfolio.
From there, find your Nike stock and you’ll see a ‘sell’ option next to it. Click that to set the details of the trade (you don’t have to sell all your stocks at once) and sell back to cash.
Should I buy Nike stock now?
It’s your investing goals and style that define whether now is a good time to buy. The current Nike stock price plays into it but ultimately it depends on your investment horizons.
- If you’re a short term trader: the goal is to make money by buying and selling stocks regularly to secure a profit or avoid a loss. That can mean trading hourly, daily, or weekly but the focus is always on the near future. Traders learn how to buy stocks in Nike based on short term technical analysis and don’t hold shares for a long time, so any time can be a good time to buy NKE.
- If you’re a long term investor: you’re more interested in long term price appreciation than whether a stock is up or down on any given day. The important thing is finding a stock with a strong foundation where you think the share price will be up over a period of months or years. If you think Nike’s fundamentals are solid then the best time to invest in Nike stock is after a dip or a pullback in price.
Most new traders sit somewhere between these two positions. You don’t want to actively trade Nike stock all hours of the day but you don’t want to wait years for a return either.
Either way, following NKE price news and analysis will help you decide when to dip your toe into the market.
Latest Nike news
Stephanie Link’s bull case for Nike stock
Nike shares rise after robust quarter results but will the stock break this key level?
Nike stock up 12% on Q2 earnings: should you buy?
Nike reports its Q1 results: ‘this is a blue-chip on sale’
Nike loses important support ahead of earnings. Here are the possible reasons
Nike stock is down 35% year-to-date: buy the dip or sell the rip?
There is no perfect way to value a stock. You can use financial metrics like the P/E ratio to compare share prices among Nike and its competitors, where a higher ratio indicates that a stock is more expensive. But lots of different factors play into Nike’s share price and the ‘right’ valuation is often a matter of opinion.
It depends on where you live but you do normally have to pay capital gains tax any time you make money from investing in Nike.
Capital gains tax is often charged at 10-15% of your profit but there are ways to limit the amount you have to pay, by using tax-friendly stock market investment vehicles and writing off losses.
Speak to an accountant or a tax professional and check the tax laws where you live to find out more.
Nike’s ticker symbol is NYSE:NKE. A ticker symbol, or stock code, is a publicly traded company’s unique identifier so that you can find them on stock exchanges.
Yes, Nike pays a cash dividend. Dividend payments are made on a per share basis, so the more shares you own the more you receive in dividends.
Cash dividends are normally paid directly into your trading account and some brokerage services allow you to reinvest dividends automatically.
According to SustainableHQ, Nike has an overall ESG score of 60 out of 100. This makes it above average compared to similar companies. Nike has good scores when it comes to governance, although its environmental scores are lower.
More stocks to buy
Invezz is a place where people can find reliable, unbiased information about finance, trading, and investing – but we do not offer financial advice and users should always carry out their own research. The assets covered on this website, including stocks, cryptocurrencies, and commodities can be highly volatile and new investors often lose money. Success in the financial markets is not guaranteed, and users should never invest more than they can afford to lose. You should consider your own personal circumstances and take the time to explore all your options before making any investment. Read our risk disclaimer >