In page navigation
- 1. How to buy Palantir (PLTR) stock
- 2. Where to buy Palantir stock?
- 3. How to buy stock in Palantir in 3 simple steps
- 4. Compare the best platforms to buy Palantir stock
- 5. Fundamental analysis of Palantir shares
- 6. Is Palantir a good investment for me?
- 7. How to sell Palantir stock
- 8. Should I buy Palantir stock now?
- 9. FAQs
How to buy Palantir (PLTR) stock
Get started in minutes with our preferred broker,. 9/10
82% of retail CFD accounts lose money.
A big part of learning how to buy Palantir stocks is finding the best place to make your investment. Palantir stocks are available to invest in through an online stock broker, and it usually takes just a few minutes to buy shares in Palantir when following our step by step guide.
Where to buy Palantir stock?Copy link to section
Based on our research, we’ve ranked the top three brokers where you can buy Palantir shares, according to how easy they are to use, how low their fees are, their safety and security rating, and average customer reviews.
77% of retail CFD accounts lose money.
Read more about how we test, rank & review platforms.
How to buy stock in Palantir in 3 simple stepsCopy link to section
Buying Palantir stock is quick and easy, all you need is an internet connection and a copy of your photo ID. Here’s how to do it.
Step 1. Sign up to eToroCopy link to section
eToro is the best stock trading platform for beginners. Fill in your details to set up a brokerage account and attach a copy of your ID to verify it.
77% of retail CFD accounts lose money.
Step 2. Make a depositCopy link to section
Transfer money to your new account with your credit or debit card, a bank transfer, or an alternative payment method, like PayPal. The minimum deposit is £10.
Step 3. Buy Palantir sharesCopy link to section
Search for Palantir using the ticker, PLTR. Click the ‘trade’ button and enter the details of your investment, such as how many shares you want to buy or how much you want to spend. Hit ‘trade now’ to invest in Palantir and complete your purchase.
It’s as easy as that! You can buy Palantir shares in just 10-15 minutes and now you’re a Palantir shareholder.
Compare the best platforms to buy Palantir stockCopy link to section
Fundamental analysis of Palantir sharesCopy link to section
What is Palantir’s total worth?Copy link to section
Palantir’s total net worth is $17.47 billion. This is its total market capitalisation, calculated by multiplying the number of shares outstanding on a stock exchange by the current share price.
How has Palantir’s share price performed in recent years?Copy link to section
The current Palantir stock price today is $8.29, which is 76.46% below its all time high of $35.18, which it reached on 29 January 2021.
Overall, PLTR is down 9.95% over the last five years. The PLTR share price is up 29.58% in 2023 with a 52 week high of $14.86 and a 52 week low of $5.92.
What is Palantir’s EPS?Copy link to section
Palantir’s EPS is -$0.18. EPS stands for earnings per share and is calculated by dividing Palantir’s net profit by the number of shares outstanding. It gives you an idea of how valuable a company is.
What is the Palantir P/E ratio?Copy link to section
Palantir’s P/E ratio is 0.0. The P/E, or price to earnings ratio, tells you how much you would have to pay per share for $1 of Palantir’s earnings.
It is calculated by dividing the share price by the earnings per share. You can use Palantir’s earnings estimates to predict its future (or forward) P/E and set a target price you think the stock can reach.
What is Palantir’s dividend yield?Copy link to section
Palantir’s dividend yield is 0%. The dividend yield tells you how much of Palantir’s share price it gives back to shareholders in dividend payments every year.
Is Palantir stock a buy or sell?Copy link to section
The indicator below shows you live technical ratings for Palantir stock on time frames from one minute to one month.
It tracks a selection of key technical indicators on live market data, including moving averages, relative strength index (RSI), oscillators, and momentum.
This indicator should be used when you research Palantir to help you decide whether to buy Palantir shares. Past performance is no guarantee of future results. It is not investment advice or a recommendation from Invezz to buy this stock.
Is Palantir a good investment for me?Copy link to section
The right answer is different for each person, so here is some information to help you decide whether to buy stocks in Palantir.
- Palantir uses AI to provide large scale data analysis to governments and commercial companies. Palantir’s business is somewhat opaque, but involves analysing large and varied data sets to allow for better real-time decision-making. It’s a growth stock focused on the future. It could be one of the best AI stocks of the future, as it uses automated algorithms on its data sets to provide those insights.
- Palantir relies heavily on government contracts. Public sector contracts make up more than half (57%) of its business. Palantir has contracts with the US Defence Department and announced a deal with the UK Ministry of Defence in 2022 to help with military decision making. These provide stable, reliable revenue streams, but contribute to Palantir’s secretive appearance, and it has been criticised for being too reliant on these public contracts.
- The company reported its first ever adjusted net profit in 2022. Palantir has prioritised developing its technology and acquiring new business over making money in its early years. In Q4 2022 it finally announced a small net profit, suggesting it may be on its way to generating sustainable income.
- There are lots of competitors for its commercial business. Companies like Tableau and Splunk offer large scale data analysis and have a more established commercial profile than Palantir. To generate big returns, Palantir needs to be able to win business from these companies to supplement its government income. It has started to do this, by announcing deals with Amazon AWS, IBM, and Fujitsu, but there’s still a way to go.
- Palantir stock has fallen dramatically from all time highs. The Palantir stock price plunged 90% over the course of 2022. It has long been a divisive stock and the price fall came about as a result of some concerns about it being overhyped along with a broader sell off in speculative tech stocks.
- Palantir is a long term play. Palantir is a tech stock that aims to capitalise on a longer term trend towards more data and using technology to provide analysis and support. If you invest, you shouldn’t expect to see immediate results in the short term.
It’s always a good idea to think about any potential risks there might be as well. Use this summary of Palantir’s pros and cons before you make a final decision on whether to buy Palantir stock.
ProsCopy link to section
- Palantir has won government contracts in the US and UK, and has been involved in the defence of Ukraine
- It reported its first adjusted profit in 2022
- Its AI data analysis business is a long term play on the future
Are there other ways to buy shares in Palantir?Copy link to section
Yes, you can invest in Palantir stock in a few different ways. One option is to buy stock in Palantir directly through an investment platform as laid out above, while another popular choice is to invest in a fund.
Mutual funds provide instant diversification to your investment portfolio by investing in lots of companies at once. You can invest in an NYSE index fund to get exposure to Palantir, or choose an AI ETF.
This can be a good investment strategy for beginners and a way to learn how to buy Palantir shares from someone with more experience.
What are the fees for investing in Palantir stock?Copy link to section
It depends on the stock broker. Some platforms charge a flat fee per trade, others charge a commission as a percentage of the total trade value each time you buy Palantir stocks.
Consider that there may be other costs to trading too. Other fees can include deposit and withdrawal fees, or inactivity fees if you don’t use your account for three months or more.
These are the trading platforms that charge the lowest fees for buying stocks in Palantir.
|Trading platform||Trading fees|
|Degiro||$0 (US) / £1.75 (UK)|
How to sell Palantir stockCopy link to section
When you decide the time is right to sell and lock in some profit (or cut your losses), log into your broker account and navigate to your portfolio.
From there, find your Palantir stock and you’ll see a ‘sell’ option next to it. Click that to set the details of the trade (you don’t have to sell all your stocks at once) and sell back to cash.
Should I buy Palantir stock now?Copy link to section
It’s your investing goals and style that define whether now is a good time to buy. The current Palantir stock price plays into it but ultimately it depends on your investment horizons.
- If you’re a short term trader: the goal is to make money by buying and selling stocks regularly to secure a profit or avoid a loss. That can mean trading hourly, daily, or weekly but the focus is always on the near future. Traders learn how to buy stocks in Palantir based on short term technical analysis and don’t hold shares for a long time, so any time can be a good time to buy PLTR.
- If you’re a long term investor: you’re more interested in long term price appreciation than whether a stock is up or down on any given day. The important thing is finding a stock with a strong foundation where you think the share price will be up over a period of months or years. If you think Palantir’s fundamentals are solid then the best time to invest in Palantir stock is after a dip or a pullback in price.
Most new traders sit somewhere between these two positions. You don’t want to actively trade Palantir stock all hours of the day but you don’t want to wait years for a return either.
Either way, following PLTR price news and analysis will help you decide when to dip your toe into the market.
Palantir stock price forecast: PLTR could slip by 18% soon
Palantir is the best ‘pure play AI name,’: Wedbush
Palantir stock price forecast: Prediction ahead of earnings
FAQsCopy link to section
There is no perfect way to value a stock. You can use financial metrics like the P/E ratio to compare share prices among Palantir and its competitors, where a higher ratio indicates that a stock is more expensive. But lots of different factors play into Palantir’s share price and the ‘right’ valuation is often a matter of opinion.
It depends on where you live but you do normally have to pay capital gains tax any time you make money from investing in Palantir.
Capital gains tax is often charged at 10-15% of your profit but there are ways to limit the amount you have to pay, by using tax-friendly stock market investment vehicles and writing off losses.
Speak to an accountant or a tax professional and check the tax laws where you live to find out more.
Palantir’s ticker symbol is NYSE:PLTR. A ticker symbol, or stock code, is a publicly traded company’s unique identifier so that you can find them on stock exchanges.
No, Palantir does not pay a cash dividend.
Palantir is a medium risk ESG stock, according to SustainAnalytics. It ranks in the top half of all software stocks and in the top third of all stocks worldwide.
Invezz is a place where people can find reliable, unbiased information about finance, trading, and investing – but we do not offer financial advice and users should always carry out their own research. The assets covered on this website, including stocks, cryptocurrencies, and commodities can be highly volatile and new investors often lose money. Success in the financial markets is not guaranteed, and users should never invest more than they can afford to lose. You should consider your own personal circumstances and take the time to explore all your options before making any investment. Read our risk disclaimer >