How to buy Regeneron shares
This guide gives you all the information you need to know in order to buy Regeneron stock. Get a brief history of the company, a step-by-step guide to investing, and find the best places to buy your own shares.
Compare the best platforms to invest in Regeneron shares
You can buy shares straight away by using one of the links below. Our team of experts has reviewed all the leading brokers to help you pick one and you can use their analysis to help you. If you’re not ready to invest yet, keep reading to learn more about Regeneron.
How to buy Regeneron shares, a step-by-step guide
The process of buying shares in Regeneron Pharmaceuticals isn’t massively complicated, so don’t worry even if you’re new to stock investing. These are the steps to follow in order to complete your investment:
- Choose a broker. In order to buy Regeneron Pharmaceuticals stock, you will need to use an online brokerage platform. There are many different options to choose from, each with their own unique benefits and drawbacks. The comparison table above can help you select the right broker for you, and you can head to our comprehensive broker reviews if you’re still unsure.
- Create an account. Once you’ve selected your broker, simply go to their website and create an account. The steps required for this will vary from platform to platform, but generally you can expect to have to provide your name, email address, phone number, and some form of photo identification.
- Deposit funds. Log into your broker account and select the option to deposit funds. Depending on your broker you’ll have a variety of payment options available; most brokers accept bank transfers and debit card payments, but not all accept e-wallets such as PayPal. Select your preferred payment method and deposit the amount of money you wish to invest in Regeneron Pharmaceuticals shares.
- Place an order for REGN stock. Now navigate to the broker’s buying stocks page (a link to this can be found in the menu on the website). Here you’ll be able to search for Regeneron Pharmaceuticals’s ticker symbol (REGN) and see the current price at which the stock is trading. If you’re happy with the price, enter the amount of shares you wish to buy and place your order.
- Execute your order. Once you have placed your order, your broker will automatically execute it for you and your Regeneron Pharmaceuticals shares will be listed in your account. Congratulations, you’ve just bought shares in Regeneron Pharmaceuticals!
What is Regeneron Pharmaceuticals? And should I invest?
Regeneron is a science and technology company that develops medical drugs. Founder and CEO Leonard Schleifer has run the company since its foundation in 1988. It’s been listed on the NASDAQ exchange since 1991.
It took Regeneron two decades to discover a successful drug. Then, it stumbled upon a way to use human DNA in mice to create antibodies and it’s been a story of remarkable success ever since.
That path to the top is why there’s some risk to buying any pharma shares. Regeneron produces a small portfolio of drugs, rather than having a mass of everyday healthcare products. That means more volatility and fewer guarantees, but means they can make big gains on the back of each new discovery.
How has REGN performed as an investment in recent years?
The 2010s were the boom times for Regeneron. It began the decade trading at less than $30 and ended it at $500. The second half of the decade was particularly good, as a series of new treatments were approved by US authorities.
Developing new treatments is an uncertain process and the success or failure of drug trials has a big influence on the share price. Since its first success in 2008, the trend line has been up but there have been steep rises and falls along the way.
Regeneron’s revenue streams have been strong and increasing 20-30% year on year. Despite that, there have been regular double-digit falls, sparked by the failure of clinical trials or unexpectedly poor sales of a new drug.
Is it a good time to buy REGN shares now?
It depends on whether you want a stable investment or are happy to accept volatility. Regeneron stock is more expensive than traditional pharma companies but comes with the big upside of developing novel drugs. In that respect, it’s more similar to Moderna than a giant like Johnson and Johnson.
Those novel drugs are extremely lucrative. While Regeneron’s most famous output is the COVID-19 drug used to treat Donald Trump, its other treatments make much more money. It produces leading drugs for eczema and eye degeneration and has one in the pipeline to treat skin cancer as well.
If you decide to invest, then tracking what else is being worked on is a good idea. It’s impossible to predict the result of clinical trials but you always want to know what could happen so you can plan ahead. Use our latest market analysis to help you:
Buying, selling and trading Regeneron shares for beginners
What to do before buying shares
You should always take the time to research a stock fully before investing your money, especially if you haven’t bought shares before. The more knowledge you have, the better your chances of making a wise investment.
With that in mind, here’s a checklist to run through before investing in Regeneron shares.
- Research the company. You should always examine the fundamentals of a company before buying its stock. What is Regeneron Pharmaceuticals? How did the company get its start? How did it grow? Is Regeneron’s revenue and profit growth picking up? Is the company innovating? The more you know about Regeneron, the better positioned you’ll be to make smart investment decisions.
- Make sure you understand the basics of stock investing. Before getting involved in the stock market, make sure you have an understanding of how it works. This will ensure that you have more clearly defined goals and have thought through how you will achieve them.
- Decide between share dealing and CFD trading. Choose the type of investment strategy you want to pursue, and make sure you have carried out the necessary fundamental or technical analysis for share dealing and CFD trading respectively.
- Set the size of your budget. The golden rule of investing is never to risk more than you can afford to lose. Not every investment you make will result in a profit, so it is important to set a budget that not only allows good potential for capital growth, but also protects against overly damaging losses.
- Find the right broker. Individual brokers each have their own pros and cons. Some will have low fees but have a user interface you struggle to understand, whereas others may be a bit more expensive but come with a range of features that you want to take advantage of. Our broker reviews can help you find the right platform for you.
- Examine broader market conditions. No stock exists in a vacuum, and it’s always important to analyse the general trends of the stock market as a whole before investing. If a bear market is setting in and stock prices are falling, it’s best to wait it out and invest your money later when the stock is cheaper. If, however, the market is looking bullish, you’ll want to make your investment quickly to get the maximum benefit from rising stock prices. Our news section can help you keep on top of movements in the financial markets.
What is the difference between buying, selling, and trading shares?
If you’re new to stock investing, then it’s important to understand the basics of how to buy, sell, and trade Regeneron shares. Here’s a quick run-through of what’s involved in each.
Buying Regeneron shares
This process involves finding a broker and placing an order to buy Regeneron Pharmaceuticals stock, as outlined in the steps further up this page. Ideally you want to time your investment when the stock’s price is low so that you can profit by selling the shares after they increase in value.
Selling Regeneron shares
When you sell any Regeneron shares you have bought, you’ll want to do so at a higher price than the one at which you bought to earn a profit.
When you sell is up to you. You might decide to hold for a long period of time, hoping to benefit from the company growing steadily throughout. Or, if you see that Regeneron stock is already up a lot compared to the price you bought it and you’ve noticed that the market is starting to fall, it might make sense to sell and take your profits to invest elsewhere. Equally, if the stock has fallen since you bought it and looks set to fall further, it might be a good idea to cut your losses by selling your shares.
Trading Regeneron shares
Trading is the same process as buying and selling shares, it’s just done over shorter periods of time with the aim to make small profits on a regular basis. This means that you can make money faster and spend your profits in your day-to-day life – however, on the other side it means you can lose money faster as well. For inexperienced investors, we generally recommend making investments for at least 6 months to a year instead of making trades in quick succession.
You can trade Regeneron Pharmaceuticals by buying and selling shares, or by trading with CFDs. These allow investors to speculate on stock prices and trade with leverage in pursuit of bigger gains. CFDs trading is explained further in the next section, but it is worth noting that beginners should avoid trading with leverage. It comes with large risks and is best left to experienced investors.
Ways to buy Regeneron shares: share dealing and CFD trading
When it comes to investing in any stock, the two options you have are share dealing and trading. Which one of these methods to opt for largely depends on your investment timeline, with investors thinking long term tending to go for share dealing, and those looking for short term gains pursuing a more aggressive trading strategy.
Here’s a quick summary of the two approaches, and the pros and cons of each.
Share dealing refers to the practice of buying and holding shares in a particular company over the long term. When investing like this, you’re seeking to profit either from dividend payments or an increase in the stock’s price over time.
When investing your money this way, it is important to do thorough fundamental analysis of the company in which you are investing. You want to put your money in a stock you believe will trend upwards over time, even if there is some market volatility along the way, rather than get distracted by shorter term peaks and troughs.
- Can build wealth over time to achieve financial goals
- Don’t need to be very reactive to short-term market movements
- Some stocks will give you an income through regular dividend payments
- Takes a long time to realise any profits
- Your capital is tied up in stocks and cannot be used for other investments
If your aim is to generate profits in the short term, then you might be better off trading shares than holding them in your portfolio. Stock trades like this are executed using CFDs (contracts for difference), which allow investors to trade against the value of a stock without having to take ownership of it. When CFD trading, investors are looking to buy and sell stocks fast to profit from short-term fluctuations in value.
One aspect of CFD trading that many investors find attractive is that they allow you to trade with leverage. This means you can place large trades while only putting up a fraction of the value yourself – for instance, if a platform offered leverage of 1:10, you could put £10 into REGN shares and be able to trade £100 worth. This can maximise profits if the market moves in your favour, but be careful as it can also lead to heavy losses.
When trading using CFDs, it is key to be skilled at technical analysis and reading stock price charts. As you’re trading stocks quickly and frequently, the fundamental strength of the company in which you’re investing isn’t as important as being able to predict how its stock price will rise and fall minute-by-minute.
- Can generate fast profits if you read the market right
- Some platforms allow you to trade with leverage
- Prevents your capital being tied up so you can take advantage of investment opportunities
- Trading with leverage is risky and can lead to big losses
- Doesn’t necessarily generate growth over the long term
Consider which approach suits you best and craft an investment strategy that works for you. If you need more information, then simply take our stock trading course and read our guide to CFD trading to get you up to speed.
If neither of these options appeal to you, then you can find a variety of other ways to invest in REGN stock on this page. If, however, you’re ready to buy Regeneron shares now, simply select one of the brokers in the table above and get started.
How to choose a broker
With the wide variety of online brokers available these days, it can be hard to figure out which is the best service to go with. Our comparison table and in-depth reviews can help you cut through the noise, but by and large these are the aspects you should be considering when selecting a broker:
- Range of stocks available. The most important thing is that you can actually use the broker to buy the shares you’re looking for. Some brokers offer more stocks than others, and many will allow you to trade other assets, like cryptocurrency.
- Fees and commissions. You want to keep as large a chunk of your profits as you can, so it’s important to make sure your broker doesn’t charge high fees that can eat into your profits.
- Regulation. You should only use regulated brokers to place trades and buy shares. Unregulated brokers can be risky and offer little to no protection if the business were to fail while you had funds in your account.
- Payment methods available. You might want to buy Regeneron shares using a specific payment method, such as PayPal. Not all brokers accept every payment method, but using our comparisons you can search only the brokers that support the option you’re looking for.
- Reputation. One of the strongest indicators of a broker’s reliability is the reputation it has with the customers who have used it. Brokers are online businesses, and as such many user experiences can be found online. You can check these out in addition to our reviews to make sure you choose the right platform.
- Customer service. As you’re going to be investing your money using the platform, you want to check that the broker offers good customer service in case you have a query or something goes wrong.
Latest Regeneron news
Stock trading courses
Long-term Stock Investing
Short-term Stock Trading
- 1. How to buy Regeneron shares
- 2. Compare the best platforms to invest in Regeneron shares
- 3. How to buy Regeneron shares, a step-by-step guide
- 4. What is Regeneron Pharmaceuticals? And should I invest?
- 5. Buying, selling and trading Regeneron shares for beginners
- 6. Ways to buy Regeneron shares: share dealing and CFD trading
- 7. How to choose a broker