How to buy Virgin Galactic Shares
Find out everything you need to know about how to buy shares in Virgin Galactic in this beginner-friendly guide. From what to consider before investing to the best brokers to use when trading stocks, we have all the information right here.
Compare the best platforms to invest in Virgin Galactic shares
If you want to buy Virgin Galactic stock right away, then quickly compare the different brokers available in the table below. Simply choose your broker and click the link to go to the platform and start trading. If you’re not quite ready to buy, scroll down for more information.
How to buy Virgin Galactic shares, a step-by-step guide
The process of buying shares in Virgin Galactic isn’t massively complicated, so don’t worry even if you’re new to stock investing. These are the steps to follow in order to complete your investment:
- Choose a broker. In order to buy Virgin Galactic stock, you will need to use an online brokerage platform. There are many different options to choose from, each with their own unique benefits and drawbacks. The comparison table above can help you select the right broker for you, and you can head to our comprehensive broker reviews if you’re still unsure.
- Create an account. Once you’ve selected your broker, simply go to their website and create an account. The steps required for this will vary from platform to platform, but generally you can expect to have to provide your name, email address, phone number, and some form of photo identification.
- Deposit funds. Log into your broker account and select the option to deposit funds. Depending on your broker you’ll have a variety of payment options available; most brokers accept bank transfers and debit card payments, but not all accept e-wallets such as PayPal. Select your preferred payment method and deposit the amount of money you wish to invest in Virgin Galactic shares.
- Place an order for SPCE stock. Now navigate to the broker’s buying stocks page (a link to this can be found in the menu on the website). Here you’ll be able to search for Virgin Galactic’s ticker symbol (SPCE) and see the current price at which the stock is trading. If you’re happy with the price, enter the amount of shares you wish to buy and place your order.
- Execute your order. Once you have placed your order, your broker will automatically execute it for you and your Virgin Galactic shares will be listed in your account. Congratulations, you’ve just bought shares in Virgin Galactic!
What is Virgin Galactic? And should I invest?
Virgin Galactic (NYSE:SPCE) is a company dedicated to making space travel commercially available. Part of the Virgin Group of companies, Virgin Galactic was founded by Richard Branson in 2004 and originally aimed to hold its maiden flight in 2009.
The question as to whether you should invest in Virgin Galactic shares depends on a variety of factors, such as the company’s long term prospects and its current trading volume. In January of 2021 retail investors pushed the SPCE share price to new highs after it was revealed that several hedge funds had been shorting the stock. Many investors are now trying to answer the question as to whether this rise in value can be maintained.
How has Virgin Galactic performed as an investment in recent years?
Very recently, Virgin Galactic stock has been shooting skywards as a result of the targeting of major short positions by the r/WallStreetBets community. This activity saw the SPCE shares rise to $58.65 on the 27th of January 2021 – up from $23.21 on January 4th.
Prior to this recent activity, Virgin Galactic shares had been performing poorly due to the COVID-19 pandemic. SPCE shares were trading at $37.35 on February 19th 2020, before falling to $10.49 on March 19th as air travel of all varieties – let alone space travel – was curtailed by lockdowns sweeping the globe.
Overall Virgin Galactic stock has been fairly volatile over the past few years, as investors try to assess whether the company’s dreams of affordable interstellar travel can be delivered. Richard Branson had originally wanted to see a maiden flight take place in 2009, but this ended up coming 9 years later on December 13th 2018.
Is it a good time to buy SPCE shares now?
Everyone’s currently trying to answer this question, as SPCE stock is at the centre of the financial tug-of-war between retail investors and hedge funds. You need to keep a cool head when investing in the stock market, and with Virgin Galactic shares you want to consider whether you’re looking to the short or long term.
If your focus is on short-term trading, then you need to focus on technical analysis and reading stock price charts. Spotting patterns in the fluctuations of SPCE’s share price, and staying on top of all the latest stock market news need to be the two core parts of your trading strategy.
However, if what you’re looking to do is buy and hold Virgin Galactic stock for the long term then there are other considerations. Rather than getting bogged down in minute-by-minute price fluctuations, your thinking about the company needs to be more fundamental. Consider how likely you think the company is to achieve its goals, and whether it will be able to rebound strongly post-coronavirus when determining whether or not to invest.
The best place to start for both strategies is to check out our latest analysis below, which will help you work out if it’s the right time to buy SPCE stock.
Is it a good time to buy SPCE stock?
Where to buy SPCE stock: is Virgin Galactic more than just a WallStreetBets target?
Virgin Galactic inks an agreement with NASA to train its astronauts
Buying, selling, and trading Virgin Galactic shares for beginners
What to do before buying shares
You should always take the time to research a stock fully before investing your money, especially if you haven’t bought shares before. The more knowledge you have, the better your chances of making a wise investment.
With that in mind, here’s a checklist to run through before deciding to buy shares in Virgin Galactic.
- Research the company. You should always examine the fundamentals of a company before buying its stock. What is Virgin Galactic? How did the company get its start? How did it grow? Is Virgin Galactic’s revenue and profit growth picking up? Is the company innovating? The more you know about Virgin Galactic, the better positioned you’ll be to make smart investment decisions.
- Make sure you understand the basics of stock investing. Before getting involved in the stock market, make sure you have an understanding of how it works. This will ensure that you have more clearly defined goals and have thought through how you will achieve them.
- Decide between share dealing and CFD trading. Choose the type of investment strategy you want to pursue, and make sure you have carried out the necessary fundamental or technical analysis for share dealing and CFD trading respectively.
- Set the size of your budget. The golden rule of investing is never to risk more than you can afford to lose. Not every investment you make will result in a profit, so it is important to set a budget that not only allows good potential for capital growth, but also protects against overly damaging losses.
- Find the right broker. Individual brokers each have their own pros and cons. Some will have low fees but have a user interface you struggle to understand, whereas others may be a bit more expensive but come with a range of features that you want to take advantage of. Our in-depth broker reviews can help you find the right platform for you.
- Examine broader market conditions. No stock exists in a vacuum, and it’s always important to analyse the general trends of the stock market as a whole before investing. If a bear market is setting in and stock prices are falling, it’s best to wait it out and invest your money later when the stock is cheaper. If, however, the market is looking bearish, you’ll want to make your investment quickly to get the maximum benefit from rising stock prices. Our news section can help you keep on top of movements in the financial markets.
What is the difference between buying, selling, and trading shares?
If you’re new to stock investing, then it’s important to understand the basics of how to buy, sell, and trade Virgin Galactic shares. Here’s a quick run-through of what’s involved in each.
Buying Virgin Galactic shares
This process involves finding a broker and placing an order to buy Virgin Galactic stock, as outlined in the steps further up this page. Ideally you want to time your investment when the stock’s price is low so that you can profit by selling the shares after they increase in value.
Selling Virgin Galactic shares
When you sell any Virgin Galactic shares you have bought, you’ll want to do so at a higher price than the one at which you bought to earn a profit.
When you sell is up to you. You might decide to hold stocks for the long term, hoping to benefit from the company growing steadily throughout. Or, if you see that Virgin Galactic’s stock is already up a lot compared to the price you bought it and you’ve noticed that the stock market is starting to fall, it might make sense to sell and take your profits to invest elsewhere. Equally, if the stock has fallen since you bought it and looks set to fall further, it might be a good idea to cut your losses by selling your shares.
Trading Virgin Galactic shares
Trading is the same process as buying and selling shares, it’s just done over shorter periods of time with the aim to make small profits on a regular basis. This means that you can make money faster and spend your profits in your day-to-day life – however, on the other side it means you can lose money faster as well. For inexperienced investors, we generally recommend making investments for at least 6 months to a year instead of making trades in quick succession.
You can trade Virgin Galactic shares through buying and selling shares, or by trading with CFDs. These allow investors to speculate on stock prices and trade with leverage in pursuit of bigger gains. CFDs trading is explained further in the next section, but it is worth noting that beginners should avoid trading with leverage. It comes with large risks and is best left to experienced investors.
Ways to buy Virgin Galactic shares: share dealing and CFD trading
When it comes to investing in any stock, the two options you have are share dealing and trading. Which one of these methods to opt for largely depends on your investment timeline, with investors thinking long term tending to go for share dealing, and those looking for short term gains pursuing a more aggressive trading strategy.
When working out where to buy Virgin Galactic shares, there are two different approaches you can take. Here’s a quick summary of each, along with their respective pros and cons
Share dealing refers to the practice of buying and holding shares in a particular company over the long term. When investing like this, you’re seeking to profit either from dividend payments or an increase in the stock’s price over time.
When investing your money this way, it is important to do thorough fundamental analysis of the company in which you are investing. You want to put your money in a stock you believe will trend upwards over time, even if there is some market volatility along the way, rather than get SPCEtracted by shorter term peaks and troughs.
- Can build wealth over time to achieve financial goals
- Don’t need to be very reactive to short-term market movements
- Some stocks will give you an income through regular dividend payments
- Takes a long time to realise any profits
- Your capital is tied up in stocks and cannot be used for other investments
If your aim is to generate profits in the short term, then you might be better off trading shares than holding them in your portfolio. Stock trades like this are executed using CFDs (contracts for difference), which allow investors to trade against the value of a stock without having to take ownership of it. When CFD trading, investors are looking to buy and sell stocks fast to profit from short-term fluctuations in value.
One aspect of CFD stock trading that many investors find attractive is that they allow you to trade with leverage. This means you can place large trades while only putting up a fraction of the value yourself – for instance, if a platform offered leverage of 1:10, you could put £10 into SPCE shares and be able to trade £100 worth. This can maximise profits if the market moves in your favour, but be careful as it can also lead to heavy losses.
When trading using CFDs, it is key to be skilled at technical analysis and reading stock price charts. As you’re trading stocks quickly and frequently, the fundamental strength of the company in which you’re investing isn’t as important as being able to predict how its stock price will rise and fall minute-by-minute.
- Can generate fast profits if you read the market right
- Some platforms allow you to trade with leverage
- Prevents your capital being tied up so you can take advantage of investment opportunities
- Trading with leverage is risky and can lead to big losses
- Doesn’t necessarily generate growth over the long term
Consider which approach suits you best and craft an investment strategy that works for you. If you need more information, then simply take our range of beginner-friendly trading courses and read our guide to trading using CFDs to get you up to speed.
If neither of these options appeal to you, then you can find a variety of other ways to invest in SPCE stock on this page. If, however, you’re ready to buy Virgin Galactic shares now, simply select one of the brokers in the table above and get started.
How to choose a broker
With the wide variety of online brokers available these days, it can be hard to figure out which is the best service to go with. Our comparison table and in-depth reviews can help you cut through the noise, but by and large these are the aspects you should be considering when selecting a broker:
- Range of stocks available. The most important thing is that you can actually use the broker to buy the shares you’re looking for. Some brokers offer more stocks than others, and many will allow you to trade other assets, such as forex and commodities.
- Fees and commissions. You want to keep as large a chunk of your profits as you can, so it’s important to make sure your broker doesn’t charge high fees that can eat into your profits.
- Regulation. You should only use regulated brokers to place trades and buy shares. Unregulated brokers can be risky and offer little to no protection if the business were to fail while you had funds in your account.
- Payment methods available. You might want to buy Virgin Galactic shares using a specific payment method, such as PayPal. Not all brokers accept every payment method, but using our comparisons you can search only the brokers that support the option you’re looking for.
- Reputation. One of the strongest indicators of a broker’s reliability is the reputation it has with the customers who have used it. Brokers are online businesses, and as such many user experiences can be found online. You can check these out in addition to our reviews to make sure you choose the right platform.
- Customer service. As you’re going to be investing your money using the platform, you want to check that the broker offers good customer service in case you have a query or something goes wrong.
Latest Virgin Galactic news
Virgin Galactic posts a £42.84 million adjusted EBITDA loss in the first quarter
Virgin Galactic says its quarterly loss expanded in Q4
Virgin Galactic climbs 24% on Tuesday marking a 400% gain in the stock market since early December
Stock trading courses
Long-term Stock Investing
Short-term Stock Trading
- 1. How to buy Virgin Galactic Shares
- 2. Compare the best platforms to invest in Virgin Galactic shares
- 3. How to buy Virgin Galactic shares, a step-by-step guide
- 4. What is Virgin Galactic? And should I invest?
- 5. Buying, selling, and trading Virgin Galactic shares for beginners
- 6. Ways to buy Virgin Galactic shares: share dealing and CFD trading
- 7. How to choose a broker