Invezz is an independent platform with the goal of helping users achieve financial freedom. In order to fund our work, we partner with advertisers who compensate us for users that Invezz refers to their services. While our reviews and assessments of each product on the site are independent and unbiased, brands may pay to appear higher up our table rankings or place ads in specific areas of the site. The order in which products and services appear on Invezz does not represent an endorsement from us, and please be aware that there may be other platforms available to you than the products and services that appear on our website. Read more about how we make money >
Invest in Platinum
Ways to invest in platinum
There are many different methods you can use. For instance, you can buy platinum bars or other forms of the metal directly, such as coins. Or you can get shares in platinum-related stocks, or even mutual funds that focus on precious metals.
Read on to learn more about each of these approaches, along with everything else you need to know about platinum. The links below direct you to individual pages which explain the methods in more detail.
What is platinum?
Platinum is a precious metal with a white and silver colour, and it is the heaviest of all precious metals. It has a wide array of uses, from fine jewellery to dental work, or as part of a composite alloy used to make magnets. The price of platinum hit a level near $1,100 per ounce in January 2021.
To learn more about platinum and other precious metals, follow the commodities news and analysis that we publish on this website. That way you’ll better understand platinum and other precious metals as investment opportunities.
How to invest in platinum
We’ve compiled a list of platinum investment options, so you can pick the method that works best for you. For more information, follow the links to our guides on each subject.
- Platinum futures. A platinum futures contract is an agreement to buy or sell a certain amount of platinum at a preset price, on a certain date in the future. Investing in platinum futures carries risk, so read our commodities investing guides to learn more about futures trading.
- Platinum options. You can bet on the price of platinum to either go up or down with an options contract. Holding an options contract gives you the right, but not the obligation, to buy (a “call”) or sell (a “put”) platinum.
- Platinum stocks. You can also buy shares of companies that focus on platinum mining and production. The best platinum stocks are those that show superior earnings and revenue growth. When investing in stocks, focus on investing during bull markets (rather than bear markets), as individual stocks tend to follow the direction of the broader market.
- Platinum ETFs. ETFs (Exchange Traded Funds) are easy to trade, being similar in execution to how you would trade an individual stock. By investing in an ETF that tracks the price of platinum, you benefit when platinum prices go up, without having to own any actual platinum bars. That is good news for your basement as well as your wallet.
- Platinum mutual funds. A mutual fund pools money together from a large number of investors. A fund manager invests that money, usually with a certain strategy involved (such as large-cap or small-cap stocks, growth or value stocks). A mutual fund with a stake in platinum will likely include investments in other precious metals stocks (such as gold and silver mining stocks) too.
Where can I buy platinum now?
Latest platinum price analysis
Fact-checking & references
Our editors fact-check all content to ensure compliance with our strict editorial policy. The information in this article is supported by the following reliable sources.
Invezz is a place where people can find reliable, unbiased information about finance, trading, and investing – but we do not offer financial advice and users should always carry out their own research. The assets covered on this website, including stocks, cryptocurrencies, and commodities can be highly volatile and new investors often lose money. Success in the financial markets is not guaranteed, and users should never invest more than they can afford to lose. You should consider your own personal circumstances and take the time to explore all your options before making any investment. Read our risk disclaimer >